Romance Fiction posted May 19, 2013 Chapters:  ...45 46 -47- 48... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cash and Billy Joe discuss women.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 10, part 6

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
END OF PREVIOUS POST:
As Cash stormed from the parlor, Mary Pat entered. "Dinner's ready."

"I'm not hungry," growled Cash as he slammed the front door behind him.

"I'm not either." Paige hugged Morgan.

Billy Joe chewed his toothpick as he studied the young lady.

"I fired Cash." She mumbled onto Morgan's head.

Mary Pat glanced at Paige in tears and nodded to her husband. "Find Cash and throw some ice water on his campfire before this turns into a raging bonfire. We both know his temper." She sat on the edge of the couch, but Paige held Morgan and stared at the wall. "I'm about to find out about hers."

TODAY'S POST:

Cash fumbled with his keys. "Damn!" He slugged the steering wheel, his anger expanding. How come this Yankee gets to me? After turning the ignition key, he put the truck in first gear. He turned his head when he heard banging on the passenger door. Cash slammed on the brakes, killing the engine.

Billy Joe jumped in and yanked out the key.

"What ya doing?" Cash glared at his friend. "I'm getting the hell outta here."

"Saving a buddy from acting like a bonafide jackass." He slipped the key-ring into his jeans pocket. "Now, if you want to whip up on someone, you can use me. Ya done it before."

"You mean years ago with Susie? You were flirting with my girl. We'd had a few too many beers and were teenagers."

"That night, you were fighting for your pride. I was fighting for my life." Billy Joe rubbed his jaw.

"That was the only time you've kicked me in the balls. I came to my senses and let you whip on me." Cash smiled and rubbed his crotch. "Your anger told me no girl was worth our friendship."

"Your anger, now, shows me that a woman has broken through that barrier you've hidden behind for years." Billy Joe paused. "Mary Pat and I talked the other night."

"I don't think I cotton to being the subject of your conversation." Cash glared at him.

"You weren't invited."

"What?"

"We were talkin' about Paige resentin' your high handed ways."

"My what? You're crazy." Cash raised his cap, brushed his hair back, and replaced it.

"Son, you fell for that Yankee the first time she burnt her prudy little ass gittin' into that fancy car of hers. I saw you studyin' her and knew you were hooked."

Cash glared at him and held out his hand. "My keys." Billy Joe put his well chewed toothpick in it. "You trying to be funny?"

"You ready to admit you're a jackass?"

"I'm no more a jackass than you. I've seen you and Mary Pat screaming at each other. You don't know any more about women than I do. More than once I heard your wife yell she wanted a divorce."

"Never got it, has she?" Billy Joe smirked. "Out of twelve years of marriage, I got some real good hay-makin' out of that yellin'. Mary Pat loves the way I make-up."

"So, what are you suggesting?"

"I don't make suggestions to a jackass. They're too hard-headed. But, if I was talkin' to a sensible man, using that word loosely, I'd go down to Harvey's Newsstand and pick up as many different copies of the latest editions as I could. They'll be chock-full of violence."

"Then what?"

Billy Joe handed Cash his key chain. "Son, if I need to explain the 'Birds and Bees' to ya then your folks raised ya wrong." He paused. "I think Paige's been hurt and isn't ready to take the risk. She needs time. It's a good time to take a couple of days off and go fishin'."

"That's all?"

"It worked for me and Mary Pat. Once she realized there's violence all around, she quit arguing about having a gun in the house. She even learned to use one and carries it."

"What about watching the house?"

"We'll watch from the outside and Mary Pat'll watch from the inside. Morgan'll let her know if any strangers come a'callin. I'm sure her pea-shooter's loud enough for us to hear." Billy Joe grinned. "You robbed me of a prime rib dinner. At least, you owe me a Big Mac. It'll do Paige good to worry a while."






Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo. I think Paige and Cash will discover how fragile relationships can be. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll be confused with this post. This is not meant to stand alone. Sorry, I draw this out so long but my paying job must come first. Only three more weeks until summer break. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.