Romance Fiction posted May 5, 2013 Chapters:  ...43 44 -45- 46... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Piage hears from the doctor.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 10, part 4

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
END OF PREVIOUS POST:
"I'll walk you to the door." Cash followed Redman to the door, then in a few moments returned. "What do you think?"

"If they want the house, I'll gladly give it to them."

The lights went out. Enough sunlight shone through the window that Paige noticed the Bookman Family book opened to the family tree. Why does he want me to study this? What is he trying to tell me?

TODAY'S POST:

Paige pointed at the book. "It opened by itself!"

Cash moved a chair closer to Paige. "That's impossible." He stood. "I'd better see why the lights went out. Maybe a fuse blew?"

"Try turning them on. I think my friend turned them off to get our attention." Paige nodded toward the switch.

When Cash flipped it, they came on. "That's strange. Maybe the switch got bumped. I'll check it later in case there's a short."

"Is it possible that the Walkers taped that note to my door?" Paige chewed on her lower lip. "I think Dwayne did it or had somebody do it for him. He really insulted Nala yesterday and made it clear I shouldn't befriend her." She glanced at her ringing phone, then back at Cash, and smiled. "It's my mom."

He nodded. "I'll be working outside."

As Paige said hello, she watched Cash leave. "Mom, how are you and Daddy?" She listened a moment. "There's no reason to worry. I'm doing fine. No, you don't need to come. I told you I'm fine." After a sigh, she added, "Mom, there's nothing going on. Aunt Paula's house is wonderful." She crossed her fingers. How does she know when things are going wrong? Is there some sort of mother's intuition? She seems to forget that I'm an adult.

"Mom, somebody just walked in. I'll call you back." She glanced at Cash escorting Dr. Henderson into the room. "Hello, I didn't expect you so early. I thought doctors worked late into the evening."

"It depends on the day. How's your ankle?" He glanced at it then met her eyes.

"I think it's ready for the real cast."

"Let me be the judge of that." The doctor studied the ankle before he asked, "May I?" After Paige nodded, he touched the ankle.

Morgan wiggled and whined.

Paige smiled at Cash, who grinned. "I know. He wants out."

Dr. Henderson watched Cash and Morgan leave. "I'd like to hear again how you broke your ankle. Your boyfriend isn't here. This is just between the two of us."

"I have nothing to hide from Cash. I was home by myself when this happened. He wasn't here and he isn't my boyfriend. We're just friends. Besides, I told you when you came to the ER. I tripped over a tree root and rolled down a hill, bumping into a tree. I was chasing Morgan. Thunder had scared him and he took off. Why don't you believe me, Dr. Henderson?"

"Please call me Marc." He massaged the ankle.

Paige studied the brown eyed doctor. He's cute. Tall, dark, and handsome; all the requirements.

Marc removed his phone from a clip on his belt. "Does Friday morning at nine o'clock sound okay?"

"That's fine. I can't wait to get the cast and crutches. Not being able to put any weight on it is getting old." Paige watched him tap the keys.

"It's set up." His eyes met hers. "I'm wondering if you'll have dinner with me Saturday evening."

"It sounds nice, but I've sworn off dating. Check back in about six months."

"Recovering from a relationship?"

"It lasted nineteen months." Morgan ran in, stood on his hind legs, and pawed at Paige. "Hi, little guy, did you do what you needed?" Paige lifted the puppy onto her lap. "This is the only male in my life."

"I'll see if you changed your mind by Friday. I guess I'd better get back to the hospital. I'm on call."

After Marc left, Cash sauntered in. "I guess you get your cast Friday morning?"

Paige nodded. "At nine." She turned her head toward the door as if looking back at the doctor and frowned. "Marc thought you somehow broke my ankle." She shook her head. "How ridiculous is that?"

Cash's eyebrows tightened together. "So it's Marc now?"

"I guess it is. He asked me out." Paige paused. "I declined."

"Howdy, I just saw a doc leave." Billy Joe stood in the doorway and set a suitcase down. "How's our patient?"

As the three friends exchanged information, Mary Pat stood beside her husband. "Did I hear the ankle will be casted Friday morning?"

All three said at once, "Yes."

Paige's eyes darted to each of her friends. "Now that you're all here, we need to decide about Nala. Is it safe for her to come every day or should she wait until all this blows over?"

"I can decide for myself." Nala stood in the door with her hands on her hips. "My boys are staying with my aunt. They don't need to learn about hate so young. I won't be scared from my home or my job."

"I guess that's settled." Paige grinned. "Does that make us the five musketeers?"

Mary Pat laughed. "I don't think so."

Cash chuckled and started toward the stairs. "I'll get the jewelry and go to Mom's. It won't take long."

*****
Nala followed. "I'll set place at the table for you. I'll start dinner in about an hour, then let Mary Pat finish it. I've got a church meeting tonight."

Cash stood still. "If you have any problems, call. I don't want to hear about it later. You should've called last night after the second doorbell. Promise you'll call."

After releasing a deep breath, she said, "I guess it won't do any harm. I promise."

*****
Paige heard the front door open. "Cash?" After he acknowledged he'd heard her, she continued, "When you return, we still have some things we need to discuss."

"Okay. I won't be long."






Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo of an antique book. I thought the Bookman Family Book may look something like this. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll probably be confused with this post. This is not meant to stand alone. It is a background post that will lead up to following posts. Sorry, I draw this out so long but my paying job must come first. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.