Romance Fiction posted April 28, 2013 Chapters:  ...42 43 -44- 45... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige discovers more information.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 10, part 3

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
PREVIOUS POST:

"No, we mustn't keep you any longer." Beatrice stood at the door. "Hurry up, Ethel."

"I'm sorry you have to hurry off. Why don't we set another date to visit? Nala, would you get my date book?"

The ladies hurried out the front door, letting it slam as they left.

"Ms. Paige, I don't know where you keep your date book." Nala glanced around the parlor.

"Please, don't call me Ms. Paige, and I don't own a date book." Paige giggled. "When I mentioned the commodities, they sure left in a hurry, didn't they? Do you think the Walker family could be after my money?"

TODAY'S POST:

As Ethel and Beatrice stomped down the steps, Morgan followed and alternately sniffed their ankles. When the pup got close to Ethel, she used her cane and swatted him. "Git, you mangy mutt."

Morgan yipped and rolled on his back.

Cash hurried over.

Beatrice raised her head. "Boy, would you remove that animal from our presence? It's in our way."

Cash bent down, picked up the puppy, and petted his head, before stepping in front of the ladies. "I don't know and I don't care who you are. I don't take too kindly to being called 'boy.' Whatever happened inside shouldn't be taken out on a defenseless animal."

Ethel used the cane in an attempt to brush Cash aside. "You talk like a Southern boy. I'm sure your momma taught you better. As hired help you know better than to address ladies such as ourselves." She leaned closer to her friend. "It's a shame this younger generation hasn't been taught manners."

Billy Joe stood beside Cash. "It ain't worth getting into a scuffle with skunks."

Both ladies sighed loudly, raised their heads high, and continued to their car.

*****
After the Bentley drove away, Cash and Billy Joe went inside. Billy Joe held his toothpick in his hand and laughed. "What did you do to make those ol' biddies run out of here? They were so angry they screeched the tires. I didn't know a Bentley could do that."

Cash handed Morgan to Paige. "The ladies weren't too fond of him."

"Oh dear. Are you all right?" Paige cuddled the puppy. "Those two are Dwayne Walker's grandmas. It seems his family is the same who lost their money playing the commodities."

"You didn't ask, did you?" Cash stared at her.

"Of course not. I had better up-bringing than that." She giggled.

"Talken' Southern, just don't suit ya." Cash grinned. "What did you say?"

As Paige relayed the conversation, Nala poured lemonade and provided more muffins and cookies. She put her left hand on her hip. "Paige thinks they're after her money."

"That's as good a guess as any. When's Redman coming?" Cash glanced at his watch.

Paige studied the antique clock sitting on the table. "In about fifteen minutes." She turned. "Cash, would you like to join me while I speak with him?"

After Cash nodded, Billy Joe grinned and said, "That'll work good. Mary Pat should be done gettin' things together. I'll get her." He watched Nala leave the room. "What about her?"

"We can decide after we talk with Mr. Redman. Maybe he can put some light on all of this and Nala won't be affected." Paige petted Morgan's head.

All heads turned when Nala brought Alan Redman into the parlor. Nala smiled. "I'll be right back with more refreshments."

"None, for me. I'm leaving." Billy Joe handed her his glass as they left the room.

Cash stood and shook Redman's hand. "Have a seat." Cash pointed to several vacant chairs.

Before sitting, Alan kissed Paige's cheek. "I see you've had an accident. What happened?"

"Nothing serious. I tripped over some tree roots. I'm glad you came on such short notice."

Alan accepted a glass of lemonade from Nala and waited until Cash and Paige had refills before he said, "I'm guessing you have a problem. How can I help?"

"A few months ago you told me somebody had contested the will. I told you then I wouldn't take possession unless all parties involved were in agreement. I'm under the impression it hasn't been settled." Paige stared at the lawyer. "I feel you haven't been completely honest with me. I'd like more information about that person and on what grounds it was contested."

"Has there been problems?"

"You could say that. Someone broke into the house last night searching for something. I figure you know what they want and who we're dealing with." Cash glared at Redman. "He left a handprint and we've hired a P.I. In a few days, we'll know who it belongs to."

"The will was contested on the grounds that Paige isn't a direct Bookman descendant." The lawyer took a sip from his glass. "To shed light on this you need to know a little history. George Bookman had three sons and four daughters. His oldest son, Wesley, inherited the house and business. Your uncle inherited it from him. George's youngest son, Elijah married Abigail Walker. The Walkers and the Bookmans didn't get along any better than the Hatfields and McCoys."

"You mean like the Montagues and Capulets?"

"Yeah, I guess." Alan studied his hands. "Elijah and Abigail had a whole herd of children. I think fifteen in all. Somehow it spread word-of-mouth through one of Elijah's children that George Bookman had written down that the house would never belong to anybody but a blood Bookman. The only living blood Bookman is from Elijah's bloodline. It seems many in the Bookman line died from the numerous yellow fever epidemics that hit this area. Documentation that the house has to stay in the Bookman line has never been found nor has there been any record of it."

"What's the last heir's name?" Cash rubbed the back of his neck.

"It's a female, Bonnie Bookman-Walker. She hyphenated her name when she married Daniel."

"Any relation to Dwayne Walker?" Paige massaged Morgan's ears.

"Nephew, I think."

"Go figure." Cash stood. "What do you know about Daniel and Bonnie?"

"They're young. In their early twenties. As far as I can tell, no employment. He's been in trouble a few times for drunk and disorderly. He always gets off with a slap on the wrist because of his last name."

"Not surprised." Cash watched Alan check a text message.

"I'm sorry. I'm needed back at the office. I hope I've helped." Alan stood and took Paige's hand. "Call if I can help in anyway."

"I'll walk you to the door." Cash followed Redman to the door, then in a few moments returned. "What do you think?"

"If they want the house, I'll gladly give it to them."

The lights went out. Enough sunlight shone through the window that Paige noticed the Bookman Family book opened to the family tree. Why does he want me to study this? What is he trying to tell me?





Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo of a chocolate Labrador puppy. I figure if the puppy gets hit by the cane, he deserves to be highlighted. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll probably be confused with this post. This is not meant to stand alone. It is a background post that will lead up to following posts. Sorry, I draw this out so long. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.