Romance Fiction posted April 21, 2013 Chapters:  ...41 42 -43- 44... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige learns more about the Walkers

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 10, part 2

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
PREVIOUS POST:
Cash stepped closer to the sidewalk. "Good afternoon, ladies. Can I help you?"

"We're here to speak with Ms. Swanson," said the shorter woman, walking with a cane.

"Ethel, he's obviously hired help. Don't waste your time," whispered the lady holding her arm. They continued up the steps and knocked on the door.

Things just get better-and-better around here. I wonder what those two want. Cash went back to his window shutter. What'll they think of Maurice? He laughed. This should be interesting.

TODAY'S POST:

As Maurice carried Paige downstairs, Nala opened the door and let in the eldery ladies.

Billy Joe walked by. "Nala, thanks for the toothpick." He held it up for her to see. "Howdy, darlin's." He tilted the toothpick and left.

"Oh my, maybe we came at a bad time," said the lady without the cane as her eyebrows rose.

Paige smiled. "Of course not. Maurice and I just finished. I've never felt better. Please follow us into the parlor."

Maurice set Paige on the couch, helped her rest her ankle on a pillow, and kissed her cheek. "Please don't hesitate to call."

"I won't and thank you again for making a house call." Paige watched him leave the room. "Maurice's hands work magic." She rolled her shoulders. "Please have a seat. What can I do for you?"

"I'm Ethel Rivers, and my friend is Beatrice Walker. You're new in Savannah and we wanted to welcome you and let you know what this great city has to offer."

"How nice. Would you ladies like some lemonade? Nala made some earlier this afternoon." She glanced at her friend.

Nala nodded and left the room.

"I'm anxious to learn more about Savannah."

"Good. We checked your family name and noticed it's registered with the Daughters of the American Revolution." Ethel set her cane against the arm of the chair.

"I see you've done your homework. Yes, relatives on both sides of my family fought in the Revolutionary War. How does that concern you?" Paige tilted her head as she studied Ethel.

"What my friend's trying to say is that we couldn't find you listed under the United Daughters of the Confederacy. If it's a mix-up, we'd be happy to correct that error." Beatrice's smile showed all her teeth.

"I'm afraid there isn't a mix-up. I'm originally from Boston."

"We noticed your family has been in the Boston social register for numerous generations." Beatrice silenced when Nala brought in a tray holding three tall glasses of lemonade, a pitcher, cloth napkins, and a plate filled with warm blueberry muffins.

Once Nala served the guests, she turned to leave. "Ms. Paige, if you need anything, I'll be in the foyer."

Paige nodded. "I'm not sure how this affects me. I'm curious how you found out about me. I never advertised that I'd moved to town."

The ladies stared at each other, before Ethel said, "Our grandson's Dwayne Walker. He mentioned that you moved into the Bookman mansion and would benefit from our, how should I say, social standing."

"Hmm, I'm wondering if either or both of you are part of the Walkers who own the large plantation north of town by the river."

"Matter of fact we do." Ethel smiled. "I see you've heard of us." She sat straighter.

"I have, but I'm still not sure why you're here and how I can help." Paige paused and scrunched her eyebrows together. "It seems I heard your name in conjunction with the Chicago Board of Trade, but I'm not sure. Maybe I have you mixed up with another Walker family."

Beatrice stood and tapped her watch. "Oh my, I didn't know it was getting so late. I'm sure you have plans for this afternoon. Come along, Ethel. We need to leave."

"Please don't rush off. Would you like some more muffins? Or maybe some cookies or fresh fruit? I'm sure Nala has some in the kitchen."

"No, we mustn't keep you any longer." Beatrice stood at the door. "Hurry up, Ethel."

"I'm sorry you have to hurry off. Why don't we set another date to visit? Nala, would you get my date book?"

The ladies hurried out the front door, letting it slam as they left.

"Ms. Paige, I don't know where you keep your date book." Nala glanced around the parlor.

"Please, don't call me Ms. Paige, and I don't own a date book." Paige giggled. "When I mentioned the commodities, they sure left in a hurry, didn't they? Do you think the Walker family could be after my money?"




Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo of a blueberry muffins. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll probably be confused with this post. This is not meant to stand alone. It is a background post that will lead up to following posts. Sorry, I draw this out so long. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.