Romance Fiction posted April 14, 2013 Chapters:  ...40 41 -42- 43... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cash shows signs of jealousy.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 10, Part 1

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
CHAPTER TEN

The following morning, Nala's nephew drove her into town and dropped her at Paige's house. While Nala prepared breakfast, Mary Pat helped Paige shower and dress. During breakfast, Cash filled Nala in on the latest news of the break-in, jewelry, hidden staircase, and handprint. After helping with the dishes, Mary Pat and Billy Joe went home to shower and pack clothes for an extended stay with Paige.

Set up in the library, Paige, armed with a cell phone, called Mr. Redman and set a meeting for three o'clock that afternoon. Dr. Henderson's nurse wouldn't allow her to make an appointment without checking first with him. Later that morning, he returned the phone call and said he'd come by after work to check on her ankle and see if the swelling had gone down enough for the cast.

"I never heard tell of a doctor in this day-and-age making house calls." Nala wiped her hands on her apron.

"I'm sure his bill will reflect the unusualness of it." Paige grinned.

"Not nearly as unusual as a masseur who makes house calls, ma'am. Mr. Wilkins told me to go on in." Maurice chuckled. He took her hand and kissed it. "Ms. Mary Pat called and said you were in desperate need of a massage and weren't able to come to the spa." He glanced at her ankle and shook his head. "Not good, not good." He petted the little brown puppy. "I see you added to your family. Who's this adorable little guy?"

"His name's Morgan. He was orphaned and I adopted him. He stays very close at all times." She petted the dog's head.

Maurice picked up Paige and the pup. "I'll take you to the bedroom. We'll have more privacy."

*****
As Cash worked on the bottom-floor window shutters, Billy Joe returned. "My wife stayed home to do some laundry and pack. She said she has this Maurice guy coming to give Paige a massage."

"He's already here."

Billy Joes's eyes met his buddy's. "Ain't you worried about a strange man being alone with Paige?" He chomped on his toothpick.

"Not a bit." Cash continued to work.

"Why ain't ya? Maybe he's spying on Paige."

Cash laughed. "He paints his fingernails. He's not checking out any woman."

"Oh, so you already checked him out." Billy Joe shook his head. "I should've guessed. Ya wouldn't let any guy too close to your woman."

"She's not my woman. She's a friend who needs help." Cash started on another shutter. "Why don't you get to work?"

"You're protesting way too much. I've known you for over twenty-five years. I have you figured out."

"Then figure out that we have work to do." Cash slammed a shutter in place.

"Yep, you're worried all right." Billy Joe stopped working and stared at two elderly women who had gotten out of a black Bentley. "Hell's-bells! Does this place have a revolving door?" He removed the toothpick, threw it on the ground, and stomped on it. "Damn, that wasn't a cigarette. Think Paige has any toothpicks?" He headed toward the front door.

Cash stepped closer to the sidewalk. "Good afternoon, ladies. Can I help you?"

"We're here to speak with Ms. Swanson," said the shorter woman, walking with a cane.

"Ethel, he's obviously hired help. Don't waste your time," whispered the lady holding her arm. They continued up the steps and knocked on the door.

Things just get better-and-better around here. I wonder what those two want. Cash went back to his window shutter. What'll they think of Maurice? He laughed. This should be interesting.





Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo of a chocolate Labrador puppy. Morgan's growing. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll probably be confused with this post. This is not meant to stand alone. It is a background post that will lead up to the following posts. Sorry, I draw this out so long. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.