Romance Fiction posted April 7, 2013 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 42... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Is somebody trying to get rid of Paige?

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 9, part 6

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
Previous POST:

"Thanks a lot." He pointed toward the parlor. "Why don't you take the couch in there, and I'll find something to sleep on in the kitchen."

Billy Joe paused. "Do ya think Paige really has a problem with guns?"

"I think Paige has an issue with a lot of Southern ways." Cash released a deep breath.


TODAY'S POST:

Cash scooted a cushioned chair into the kitchen, then a footstool. I need my sleeping bag and cot. I'll get those tomorrow. I wonder if Paige has any spare blankets. I'm sure Paula had plenty. But where? Cash started up the stairs.

"Hey, is that you?" Billy Joe called out.

"Yeah. I think there's some blankets in that huge wardrobe in the west bedroom." He leaned over the walnut banister.

"How would you know?"

"Paula and Mom think alike. If I find them, you want one?" Cash continued up the stairs.

"It would help, but don't wake up the girls."

"How can we sleep with you guys yelling?" Mary Pat's voice could be heard from the bedroom.

Cash stepped into Paige's bedroom. "Looking for some blankets."

"I know, and so does the entire neighborhood. You're headed in the right direction." Paige released a deep breath. "Men!"

Cash opened the antebellum, wooden wardrobe and removed two lightweight blankets and two pillows from the perfectly stacked bedding. Just like Mom. He glanced at the top shelf, saw a closed, small wooden box, and set the items he'd gathered on the bed. Holding the box, he paused. What secrets does this hold? Very slowly he turned the small key and lifted the lid. He removed a cameo necklace and a seeded pearl necklace. Holy cow, I bet these cost a mint. Who did they belong too? Then he took out a stack of Confederate bills. "Damn! Paige!"

"Did you find the blankets?" Paige asked as Cash entered the bedroom.

"Yes, but I also found this." Cash held the box and the two pieces of jewelry.

The women and Cash turned their heads when they heard footsteps running up the stairs.

Morgan barked as Billy Joe rushed in. "Now what did you find?" He touched the cameo. "If that ain't a cat's meow?"

Paige tilted her head and glanced at him. "You come up with the strangest sayings."

"Do you have any idea where they came from?" Cash glanced at Paige.

"Aunt Paula showed me some beautiful jewelry, but I've never seen those or the box. Where did you find it?"

Cash tilted his head toward the west bedroom. "On the top shelf of the wardrobe."

Paige's eyes widened. "I was looking for some towels the other day and that box wasn't there. Aunt Paula had some shoe boxes with photographs in them. I moved them to the library. The top shelf was vacant." She swallowed hard. "How did that box get there?" She glanced at each person. "Would somebody tell me what's going on?"

"I'd love to if I knew." Cash eyed the box. "What do you want me to do with this?"

"Put it back where you found it."

"Paige, they're antiques." Mary Pat stared at the necklaces.

"I'll take them to Mom's friend tomorrow along with the Confederate bill and button." Cash put the jewelry inside the box and relocked it.

Paige grabbed her phone and began searching.

"What ya looking up?" Billy Joe glanced over her shoulder.

"The phone number to the airport. I want the first flight out."

Cash sat beside her. "You aren't going anywhere. You're the one who wanted to go on the ghost tour and thought it was great having a ghost in your house."

"Wait a minute. I said any ghost but Blackbeard. He's mean."

"I don't believe you have a ghost, especially not Blackbeard. I do think you have a real person who's trying to scare you. Are you going to let them?"

Paige studied the blankets for a few moments, released a deep breath, then her eyes met Cash's. "Never! I won't be chased from my house."




Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo representing an antebellum cameo necklace. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you have not read my previous posts, you'll probably be confused with this post. This is not meant to stand alone. Sorry, I draw this out so long. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.