Romance Fiction posted January 2, 2013 Chapters:  ...24 25 -26- 27... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige and Morgan get caught in a storm.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 7, Part 1

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
CHAPTER SEVEN

As Paige watched Cash walk down the steps toward his pickup, she held the pup while stroking his head. "Morgan, you need to be nice to Cash. He stopped by the pet shop before he cleaned the fish. I'm sure that was difficult for him."

Before Cash climbed behind the steering wheel, he called, "Don't forget tomorrow evening. Mom's gonna fry up those catfish."

"How could I? You bragged about five perfect pan-sized fish all the way home and how good your mom's hushpuppies would be." She laughed. "I'll be ready. Any idea what I could bring? How about some potato salad?"

"Yourself will be enough." He grinned.

When Morgan gave a whimper, she glanced at him then back at Cash. "Thanks for taking us to buy supplies. I'll see you in the morning. Bye." Paige waved as Cash pulled from the curb. She closed and locked the front door.

"Well, little guy. Let's get you fed and settled." Paige turned her head as the gust of wind caused a branch to crash into the side of the house. "I think a thunderstorm's brewing. I'd better check the weather." She searched for the remote control and then clicked on the TV.

Paige poured some dry puppy food into a bowl, then set it on the kitchen floor next to a fresh bowl of water. She watched the local weather forecast and sighed. "Morgan, after you eat, we'd better go out so you can do your job. This storm's almost on us. It's supposed to have rain, wind, and hail; not to mention thunder and lightning." She sat on the floor and rubbed the pup's ears. "I guess I'll find out if you're afraid of thunder pretty fast."

Morgan hadn't cleaned his bowl when he sat and stared at his new master.

Paige laughed. "You're just too cute. Let's get your outside jobs finished."

The puppy struggled to get away as Paige put on the new blue collar. "Now, sit still. You'll be safer if you walk on a leash. You don't want to get lost, do you?"

After Morgan tugged and chewed the leash, Paige picked him up. "Maybe you'll do better outside."

As Paige set the pup on the ground, a loud clap of thunder sounded. Morgan jumped and took off dragging the new leash.

Paige ran after him. "Morgan, Morgan, come back. It's only thunder. Morgan!" She reached for the leash but missed. The louder the thunder, the faster the puppy ran and Paige chased.

Morgan jerked and yelped as the leash tangled on a large rotted branch. Paige crept closer as the pup struggled for freedom. Lightning crashed as it struck ground. Paige jumped, catching her right foot on an exposed tree root. She fell and rolled slowly down the small slope, landing against an oak tree. The branch, leash, and the pup came with her.

Sheets of rain pelted their bodies as Paige cried out in pain. She attempted to stand but was unable to put weight on the ankle. It must be sprained. Still on the ground, she searched for something to prop against so she could stand. She found nothing.

Hail beat against them. "Maybe this'll help." Paige held Morgan close to her body to protect him. "We're going to have to wait this out, little guy."

My ankle hurts. She tightened her hold on the pup. Temp's dropping. A least you're not out in this by yourself. She rubbed her cheek against her little friend's head.

I don't feel well. Paige leaned her head sideways against the tree trunk. As she passed out, strong arms lifted her, carried her toward the house, up the stairs, and gently placed her on the bed. After removing the wet outer clothes, blankets were tucked in around her.

When Paige's body warmed up, she called out, "Cash, Cash." Silence. She grabbed her cell phone on the nightstand, pressed Cash's number, and waited for him to answer. "Cash, I don't know what I did to my ankle. How'd you know I needed help?"

"I didn't. I'm on my way."



Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of a ligtning strike.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. My posts are short, but please remember they are part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel. I cannot describe the main characters in each post, the novel would never end. The characters do continue to grow with each chapter as does Cash and Paige's relationship.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.