Romance Fiction posted December 23, 2012 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige finds a puppy.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 6, part 5

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Ending of Previous post:

"In my right back pocket, I have my driver's and fishing license."

The taller man beside Cash nodded for him to reach for the billfold. "Slowly."

Cash showed him the two documents. "Paige's purse is in my truck. It's parked by the river. I'm sure she has identification in it. I can take you to it and show you our gear."

"I won't leave." Paige put her hands on her hips.

Cash rubbed his forehead. Now's not the time to show your independence.

Today's post:

All three men stared at her. After a long moment, Paige smiled. "I followed a lost dog into the woods. He appeared to be injured. I couldn't leave him out here by himself."

"At least it wasn't a ghost." Cash chuckled.

Both ATF men glanced at him.

"It's a long story. I'm sure you're not interested," Cash added.

Paige turned to her left and pointed. "I think he went that way. He's very skinny."

The short revenuer sighed. "I bet it belongs to the moonshiners. Think he'll lead us to them?"

"Wouldn't hurt to find out." The taller one nodded. "We'll help you look."

"Good. He went this way, but I'm not sure where from here. You two stopped me. I didn't see where he went." Paige turned toward Cash. "You coming?"

"Why not?" What does she think she's going to do when she finds the mutt? Cash caught up with Paige. "What color and how big?"

"Dark brown and maybe fifteen pounds. His ribs stuck out. I thought puppies had little round tummies." Her lips pouted. "He needs my help."

Cash took her hand. "If we split up, we'll cover more area."

The short ATF man glanced at his watch. "Let's meet you at your truck in thirty minutes."

After all agreed, the revenuers went right and Cash and Paige went left. Cash moved the underbrush so Paige would have an easier time walking. She paused, removed the pink scrunchie, and redid her ponytail. "I understand why you said old blue jeans. Sandals wouldn't work." She grinned.

"Did you hear that?" Cash turned his head. "I heard a whimper." He pointed forward. "Come on. Up ahead."

They hurried. As they rounded a large oak tree, there stood a scrawny brown puppy having a staring contest with a box turtle.

Cash laughed. "I guess the turtle doesn't see the pup as a threat. He didn't crawl into his shell."

Paige stepped closer and knelt down. "I won't hurt you. Come here, little guy." She reached out her hand for the puppy to smell. He hesitated but sniffed the air between them. "Look Cash, he's thinking about it."

The pup crept closer.

Stretching her arm even farther, Paige touched his muzzle. The animal jumped back. Paige sighed and glanced toward Cash.

With patience and slow movements, Paige coaxed the dog closer. After petting him for a while, she placed a hand under his stomach. Once he accepted that, she picked him up, but continued to kneel on the ground. "Finally." She cuddled him close to her chest as she stood.

Cash glanced at his watch. "We'd better hurry. The ATF men'll think we ditched them and really are moonshiners."

Paige scanned the area. "Which way do we go? I'm lost."

Cash shielded his eyes from the sun. "This way." He pointed. "Do you want me to carry the mutt? It'd be easier walking."

Paige headed in the direction Cash had indicated. "I'm fine."

*****
When Cash and Paige stepped into the open, the two revenuers stood beside Cash's pick-up. The taller of the two pointed at the dog and laughed. "She was telling the truth. There was a mutt and a scrawny one at that."

"Why would I lie?" Paige frowned.

"Ma'am, we get lied to a lot." The short one touched the dog's head. He glanced toward his partner. "If we're going to find that still, we'd better get going."

Cash and Paige watched the two men walk back behind the tree line.

"That was strange." Paige leaned against the truck.

"Let me see this little guy." Cash reached for the dog. "He's skinny. What you going to do with him?"

The pup wiggled to get away.

"I'm keeping him. I've never had a dog and I think it'd be nice to have one around."

"A dog's a lot of responsibility. He's not going to stay cute and cuddly." Cash raised him up and checked. "He's a male and looks like a Labrador Retriever. He could get up to eighty pounds. Are you sure you don't want to find a nice home for him?"

"Why would I want to do that? You don't think I'm responsible enough to take care of a puppy, do you?" Paige glared at Cash and snatched the puppy back.

"That's not what I said. You've never had a pet. I was just telling you they're a huge responsibility. You start work next month." Cash glanced toward the river. "Are we gonna fish or not?" He grabbed his tackle box and redid the stink bait on his line. "I'm fishing. You can do what you want." He cast out.

After a long moment, Paige stood beside him and watched him reel in his line. "Are there really moonshiners back there?" With her free arm, she pointed to the woods.

"I wouldn't be surprised." He petted the pup on the head. "He looks hungry. I'm sure Mom put something in the cooler he could eat." Cash brought back some chicken meat and handed it to Paige. "Have you decided on a name?"

The hungry dog devoured it. Paige held him up and looked into his eyes. "He looks like a Morgan."




Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of a the chocolate labrador puppy.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. My posts are short, but please remember they are part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel. I cannot describe the main characters in each post, the novel would never end. The characters do continue to grow with each chapter as does Cash and Paige's relationship.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.