Romance Fiction posted December 16, 2012 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige finds adventure in the woods.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 6, part 4

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Previous Post:
Once Cash parked, Paige stood by the truck and watched him unload the poles, tackle-box, and two small chairs.

She picked up the cooler and glanced around. "I don't see a bathroom anywhere close."

Cash pointed to the trees. "It's over yonder."


Today's Post:

Paige set down the cooler. "You actually expect me to go in the woods?"

"I do." Cash grinned. "If you're worried about privacy, I promise I won't move from this spot." He crossed his heart, then held up his right hand.

"I'm not worried about that. Oh, never mind, you're a guy. You won't understand." Paige headed toward the woods.

"Don't go in too far, you might get lost."

"I don't know why he can't take me back to town? It'd be a lot simpler," muttered Paige.

"I heard that." Cash chuckled. "I don't know why you didn't use the bathroom before we left Mom's."

Paige turned and glared at him. "Because I didn't need to."

"But you have to twenty minutes later?" Cash shook his head.

"Maybe because you drove like a maniac over the ruts and you bounced everything around." Paige stepped into the tree line.

"I didn't drive like a maniac and be careful."

*****
Cash stood by the truck and waited. After about five minutes, he yelled, "Paige, is everything all right?" When she didn't answer, he yelled again, "This isn't funny. I know you're upset. I need to know you're all right."

He waited a few moments, then slammed his fist on the hood of the truck. "I know why I don't have a girlfriend. They're too much trouble. This dame's high maintenance." He stepped closer to the woods. "Paige, you proved your point. Next time we'll drive back to town."

Silence.

How could she possibly get into trouble out here? It's only her and me and she's a pain in the butt. Cash ran his fingers through his short hair. I guess I'd better look for her. No, I came out here to fish. She'll show up when she's ready. He grabbed the pole, put on some stink bait, and cast out. I hope the catfish are hungry.

Turning on the radio, Cash sat down. "Come on, guys. Take two in a row from the Mets." He turned and stared at the woods. "Damn, I'd better go find this crazy Yankee before she hurts herself."

Cash stood on the edge of the tree line. I told her I wouldn't move. What if she's still going? He took a step toward the truck. Not even Billy Joe can poop that long. Walking between two trees, he pushed aside some underbrush. "How far did she go?" After another fifty feet and no evidence of Paige, he called, "Paige, Paige." Again silence. I wonder if she got her ankle hung up in the underbrush. I should've warned her.

"What was that?" Cash turned his head toward the sound and listened. There's voices. Who else would be out here? He jogged toward the noise, jumping over rotting logs and pushing aside tree sprouts and weeds.

In a small clearing, Cash saw two men wearing navy blue windbreakers with yellow letters on the back indicating they were ATF. Damn, she can get in trouble in the middle of nowhere. The shorter of the two men was questioning her.

A twig Cash stepped on snapped. The taller man knelt down on one knee in his direction and pointed at him a Glock 27. The shorter one moved closer to Paige and said, "State your business."

"Cash, these men think I can take them to a still. They said something about moonshine. I don't know what they're talking about, so there's no way I can help them, but they don't believe me." Paige released a deep breath.

The taller man moved closer to Cash. "You a moonshiner too?"

"No, sir. We came to fish. Ms. Swanson needed to use the bathroom so she went into the woods. I'm guessing that's where you found her. She's only been in Savannah a week. She's from Boston, Massachusetts. I doubt she can help you."

The revenuers glanced at each other. "Do you have proof?" the shorter one asked.

"In my right back pocket, I have my driver's and fishing license."

The taller man beside Cash nodded for him to reach for the billfold. "Slowly."

Cash showed him the two documents. "Paige's purse is in my truck. It's parked by the river. I'm sure she has identification in it. I can take you to it and show you our gear."

"I won't leave." Paige put her hands on her hips.

Cash rubbed his forehead. Now's not the time to show your independence.





Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of a the still around Savannah, GA.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. My posts are short, but please remember they are part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel. I cannot describe the main characters in each post, the novel would never end. The characters do continue to grow with each chapter as does Cash and Paige's relationship.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.