Romance Fiction posted December 9, 2012 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige and Cash prepare to fish.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 6, part 3

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Previous post:
Cash set down his fork and grinned. "We've been known to go a few rounds at the gym."

"When we needed to add on to the nursery, they sold tickets to the boxing match. We raised almost a thousand dollars." Faye patted her son's arm.

"Who won?" Paige raised her eye brows.

"It was a tie, I think." Cash chuckled.

"Are you telling me a minister beat you at boxing?"

"Nope, I'm telling you it was a tie."

*****
Today's post:

Paige tilted her head and studied Cash. "I don't understand." Her eyes widened. "I get it! You guys had an agreement before the match that it'd end in a tie. Am I right?"

Cash shook his head and grinned. "Do you have any brothers?"

"I'm an only child."

"Figures." Cash stood, pushed his chair in, and walked into the living room. When he returned, he carried a rocking chair. "Mom, get comfortable. We can visit while Paige and I take care of the dishes."

"Before I forget, in the drawer on your right I put new batteries. I know you'll want to listen to the ball game while you're fishing."

Cash opened the drawer and put the batteries in his pocket. "Thanks, Mom." He studied Paige. "You want to wash or dry?"

Paige scanned the kitchen.

"Mom doesn't believe in those newfangled dishwashers. I've tried to buy her one on many occasions, especially after her heart attack." He nodded toward his mother.

"He's right. Washing dishes by hand is the only way to know if they're really clean." Faye went to the refrigerator and brought a bowl of fresh green beans to the chair. "I don't like canned vegetables either. Fresh ones are better." While she rocked, she snapped beans.

"I guess since I don't know where to put them once they're dry, I'll wash." She nodded.

Cash put in detergent and filled the sink with hot water. "Your turn." He stepped aside.

After Paige had washed three plates, the ends of her long black hair fell in the dishwater. "Darn!" She lifted it and wrung it out.

Faye handed her a pink scrunchie. "Cash told me about your beautiful long black hair and I figured sometime this would come in handy."

"Thank you." Paige grabbed her hair, making a ponytail and put the band around it.

"I like it down, but you'd have problems while fishing." Cash grinned.

"I'm beginning to wonder about fishing. I can't wear sandals and I can't wear my hair down. It had better be worth it." She laughed.

"You've never been fishing?" Faye's eyebrows rose.

"Not even once."

"I thought my son was teasing, but you are a Yankee through and through."

Their eyes met, as Paige asked, "Is that a problem?"

"No child, it's not."

Cash put his arm around Paige's shoulder. "Since I'm a Southern gentleman, I'll teach you the ways of the South." He chuckled. "Mom does her fishing at the meat market. Maybe, you should too."

Paige tossed some dishwater toward him. "I'm doing fine on my own, but thank you."

Just before Paige finished the last pan, Cash filled a cooler with some ice and sodas.

Faye opened the refrigerator. "You might need some sandwiches."

Paige put a hand across her stomach. "I ate so much; I doubt I'll be hungry for days."

"Good, wouldn't hurt if you had some more meat on those bones." Cash's mom set a few items in the cooler. "Cash, you make sure she eats something. If a big wind comes along, she might blow away."

Cash hugged his mom and kissed her cheek. "I promise I won't let anything happen to her. I'll come by before I go home, but don't wait supper. I'm sure we have plenty to eat. If not, I'll stop somewhere."

"Paige, come by tomorrow and I'll fry the fish up for dinner." Faye gave her a quick hug. "Cash loves my hushpuppies."

"Hushpuppies?"

"Mom has a fresh litter of puppies out back; she coats them with cornmeal and drops them in the fryer."

"Cash! You behave yourself. Hushpuppies are a mixture of cornmeal, flour, baking soda, buttermilk, onion, and an egg. They're deep fried. You two best be on your way."

After returning the hug, Paige said, "It was nice meeting you and thank you for the wonderful meal." She smiled. "I knew Cash was teasing about the puppies. I'm not that gullible."

Faye stood at the door and waved as they got into Cash's truck and backed out of the driveway.

"You keep both your vehicles at your mom's?"

"I live right over there." He pointed to a small house three houses to the left of his mom's. "I had a place across town, but decided I needed to be closer when she was recovering."

"It makes sense. She's a very nice lady."

"Are you over your nervousness?" He laughed.

"Yes, but I'm worried about fishing."

"Don't be. It's easy. You just throw your line in, sit back, relax, listen to the Braves beating the Mets, and wait for a fish to bite. I'll even bait your hook. All you got to do is throw it in the water and haul in the fish."

"Nothing's that easy," she teased.

*****
"You're going to drive through that?" Paige pointed out the windshield.

"That's why I brought the truck. The car would've hit bottom on the road. There's a lot of dirt roads in these parts. The best fishing holes are about two miles straight ahead. Get ready for a bumpy ride."

"These ruts are deep. Are you sure you want to continue?" Paige glanced toward Cash.

"Yes, I'm sure. Next week we'll test your Jag's suspension out here." He laughed.

"I think not!" Paige's eyebrows rose. She bumped her shoulder on the door as Cash made a sharp right. "Ouch. Could you give me some warning? Maybe you should slow down. Look at all the dust you're stirring up."

"I'm going slow." He pointed to the left. "My favorite fishing hole's right over there."

"This looks way out in the country. Why couldn't we have fished by the River Walk? People fish there."

"I like freshwater fishing, not salt water."

Once Cash parked, Paige stood by the truck and watched him unload the poles, tackle-box, and two small chairs.

She picked up the cooler and glanced around. "I don't see a bathroom anywhere close."

Cash pointed to the trees. "It's over yonder."




Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of a the Spanish Moss around Savannah, GA.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. My posts are short, but please remember they are part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel. I cannot describe the main characters in each post, the novel would never end. The characters do continue to grow with each chapter as does Cash and Paige's relationship.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.