Romance Fiction posted December 2, 2012 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 23... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige meets Cash's mom.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 6, part 2

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
The minister stood just inside the door. "Cash, welcome." They shook hands before he took Paige's hand. "You must be Paige Swanson. I'd heard you were coming today. Welcome, I'm Pastor Ben Coleman."

"I'm happy to meet you, Reverend Coleman."

"In these parts I'm called Pastor Ben." He grinned.

"I see Mom waving. I guess she thinks I've forgotten where our family pew is?" Cash laughed.

Paige turned toward him. "You have assigned seats?"

"No, we sit in the same pew every week. That way Pastor Ben don't haveta call roll and he knows who he needs to visit during the week." Cash winked at her and then struck Ben on the arm, raised his fists, and stood in a fighter's stance.

The congregation standing around laughed.

Pastor Ben chuckled deep from his stomach. "You and me three rounds this Friday at noon. I might even let you win, so this young lady can minister unto me." He winked at Paige. "I guess I'd better get to the pulpit."

"And we'd better get seated. The organ's started." Cash took Paige's hand and gently squeezed as he escorted her down the center aisle.

All eyes stared at them.

Cash leaned over and kissed his mom on the cheek and briefly introduced the ladies.

Faye Wilkins used both hands to hold Paige's. "I'm so glad to meet you. We can get better acquainted at dinner. I hope you like fried chicken." Paige smiled and nodded, as Cash's mother motioned for them to sit. "We'd better get quiet."

With the church bulletin open, Cash pointed at the page number and opened the hymnal. They stood while they sang.

*****
At the beginning of the final hymn, Paige watched Faye leave the sanctuary.

As they left the building, Cash loosened his necktie. "Pastor Ben can talk." He glanced at his watch. "That service lasted an hour and forty-five minutes. The fish will be taking a nap before we can get out there." He opened the passenger door.

"This is the first time I've seen rafters shake."

"This is an ol' fashioned fundamentalist church. I'm pretty sure they don't have them up North." Cash turned the key, then rolled down his window as Billy Joe knocked on it.

He leaned in the window. "How'd you like a Southern Church service?"

"I'm not used to the minister shouting." Paige grinned.

"I guess he wanted to make sure Ol' Lucifer heard him." Billy Joe winked. "Think the Braves can win two in a row from the Mets? Game starts at 3:00. I guess the TV sets the schedule." He glanced up. "It looks like Mary Pat's ready. She had nursery duty this morning."

"I'll be listening to the game while fishing. I'd better get home. Mom doesn't like a late Sunday dinner."

"I'm sure she wants to spend plenty of time getting acquainted with Paige." Billy Joe grinned.

"You got that right. I'll see you in the morning." Cash rolled the window up. "It's time to head toward Mom's."

Paige was silent.

As Cash turned down a road, he said, "Mom's house is the white one on the left." He glanced at her. "You're quiet. Are you nervous?"

She nodded. "What if your mom doesn't like me?"

"She likes you. I got a sign of approval during church." He parked in the driveway. "Why don't you change clothes? I'll help Mom set the table."

"How did she cook fried chicken so fast?"

"Mom believes Sunday's a day of rest. She cooks on Saturday then reheats. About the time it takes you to change, dinner will be ready." Cash opened the door and followed Paige.

Inside the house Paige took a deep breath. "Boy the chicken smells good. There's another scent. Is it peach pie?"

Faye turned from the stove and smiled. "Peach cobbler."

Cash gave his mom a quick hug. "I'll show Paige where to change, then help you." He led Paige to a back bedroom. "If you need a bathroom, there's one halfway down the hall on your left." He shut the door as he left.

Paige entered the kitchen and noticed Cash wasn't there. "I thought Cash was helping. Is there anything I can do?"

"Cash was, but Karen dropped by and he walked her to the car. She wanted to catch him after church, but she said you two rushed out." Faye laughed, then pointed to a pan sitting on the counter. "Cash was getting ready to mash those 'tators."

Paige stood by the counter and studied the butter, the milk carton and a tool she'd never seen before. At least I know what 'tators are. She studied the tool. What is this? She turned her head when she heard the screen door shut.

Cash stood beside her. "Don't look so puzzled. That's a 'tator smasher. What do you smash 'tators with up North?

"I'm really not sure." She handed the gadget to Cash. "I think this is your job. I'll set the table."

He glanced down her body. "I'm wondering where'd you get those jeans and T-shirt. I'm pretty sure you didn't have them hanging in your closet."

"You said I needed to wear old clothes. Mary Pat told me to get some at the thrift store." She turned. "Am I dressed all right?"

Laughing out loud, Cash said, "You actually walked into a second hand store?"

Faye took a dish towel and snapped it toward Cash. "Mind your manners, Son." She looked at Paige. "I'm sorry. I don't know what gets into him sometimes. Lord knows, his father, God rest his soul, and I did our best raising him."

"I'm sure you did, Mrs. Wilkins."

"Please child, call me Faye." She opened a door. "Here's the silverware." She set some plates on the counter. "The napkins are over there." She pointed to a counter closer to the table.

*****
After prayer, Faye glanced at her son. "I saw you and the pastor horse playing again. There's some in the congregation that don't take too kindly to his former profession."

"They need to lighten up. What could be more Christian than a reformed alcoholic boxer?"

Paige coughed as she took a bite of potatoes. "You're kidding, right?"

"Nope." Cash winked at her. "Pastor Ben has been dry for somewhere around four years. While he did the twelve step program, he found Jesus and switched careers. I think that's what makes him a good preacher."

"Do you two really box each other?"

Cash set down his fork and grinned. "We've been known to go a few rounds at the gym."

"When we needed to add on to the nursery, they sold tickets to the boxing match. We raised almost a thousand dollars." Faye patted her son's arm.

"Who won?" Paige raised her eye brows.

"It was a tie, I think." Cash chuckled.

"Are you telling me a minister beat you at boxing?"

"Nope, I'm telling you it was a tie."





Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of a fried chicken meal.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. I know my posts are short, but please remember they are part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel. I cannot describe the main characters in each post, the novel would never end. The characters do continue to grow with each chapter as does Cash and Paige's relationship.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.