Romance Fiction posted November 25, 2012 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige and Cash leave for church.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 6, part 1

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
CHAPTER SIX

Paige ran down the walnut staircase yelling, "I'm coming. I'm coming." She opened the door. "I heard the doorbell the first time. You didn't need to keep it up."

"Since the game went into extra innings and we didn't leave until almost midnight, I wasn't sure if you got up or not. I know you like your beauty sleep."

"You don't know anything about my sleeping habits, Cash Wilkins."

"You're using my full name. I wonder what that means." He chuckled as his eyes met hers. "Ready? The car's waiting."

"I need to grab my sweater and finish fastening this shoe." Paige pointed to the coral stiletto sandal.

"You ran down those," he glanced toward the stairs, "wearing those? You could've broken your neck."

'I had to. You wouldn't stop ringing the bell." She grabbed a coral short-sleeved sweater.

Cash took it from her and held it while she slipped it on. "You're impossible." He held the door. "Are you ready?"

Paige tilted her head and grinned. "Not quite. I need to get my fishing duds." She went into the parlor and grabbed a bright pink overnight bag. "Do I need anything besides old blue jeans and a T-shirt?"

Studying her heels, Cash said, "You can't wear those fishing."

"I know that. I packed other shoes." She started toward the door. "Ready?"

"I'll carry this." Cash took the bag and shook his head. Why am I not surprised it's pink?

Inside the car, Cash started the engine. I'm always one step behind her. Maybe it's my imagination? He glanced toward her. She'll stick out like a sore thumb in that dress. At least the sweater covers most of her shoulders.

Paige patted the seat. "Real leather, nice. I can see you've worked hard restoring this. What's the color called?"

"Dark blue metallic. I'm glad you like it. I didn't think you should go to church in a pickup." He grinned.

"Don't you?"

He nodded. "Yep, but it seemed wrong somehow to bring a lady in a pickup."

"How far away is the church?"

"It's on the outskirts of town. Dad didn't like what he called, 'new-fangled religion.' He liked the old fashioned churches."

"Do Mary Pat and Billy Joe go to the same church?"

"Whenever Mary Pat can get his sorry butt out of bed." Cash laughed.

Cash parked beside Billy Joe's car. "I guess Mary Pat won today. They're already here." He went around, opened the door for Paige, and offered his hand. After letting out a deep sigh, he asked, "Ready?"

"Yes, but I'm not sure you are. You seem a little nervous. Should we abort church?"

"Mom'd shoot me full of rock-salt, then she'd give me a tongue-lashing that'd make Ol' Scratch blush. She's called all her friends and warned them I was bringing someone."

"Who's Ol' Scratch?"

"The Devil."

"On top of all of that, I wore a bright coral sundress. They won't miss me. Bless your little pea-pickin' heart. You don't have a chance, do you?" Paige tried to hide her giggle.

"I'm beginning to think you and Mom are conspiring against me." Cash grinned as he glanced up the seven cement steps to the church. "Let's do it." He took Paige's arm.

As they stood at the solid oak door, Paige stopped and straightened the knot on Cash's tie. "You look mighty handsome all spruced up."

"You're a real stinker. Would you cut it out?" Cash shook his head and smiled.

"Are you sure you don't want to turn and run in the other direction?"

"The one thing Southern men don't do is run. Northerners should've learned that during the war." He opened the door and walked in with his hand on the small of Paige's back.



Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of a Southern rural church.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. I know my posts are short, but please remember they are part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel. I cannot describe the main characters in each post, the novel would never end. The characters do continue to grow with each chapter as does Cash and Paige's relationship.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.