Romance Fiction posted November 12, 2012 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige and Cash bet.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 5, part 5

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Previous post:
They turned their heads toward a thump.

"I know the wind didn't do that. Somebody's in this house besides us." Mary Pat's eyes met Paige's.

Today's post:

"You two stay here. I'll look around." Cash searched the parlor and den before he went to the back porch.

Paige followed. "Who made the noise?"

"That large oak tree by the south side of the house has a big branch that leans again the roof." Cash pointed toward it. "The wind blew it against the house."

"How many strange things are you going to blame on the wind?" Paige shoved her hands into her short's pocket.

"There's a better chance the wind caused a noise than a ghost." His eyes met hers.

"You two argue like an old married couple." Billy Joe chuckled as he joined them.

"Cash blames every strange sound on the wind."

"It makes a lot more sense than ghosts running wild, doesn't it?" Cash glanced toward his friend.

"I'd haveta agree with Cash. There ain't no such things as ghosts."

Mary Pat stood beside her husband. "Just like there's no gays in the South. They're all up north, right?"

Billy Joe put his arm around his wife and chuckled. "You got that right, baby. That's what my grand pappy used to say. God rest his soul."

"I think it's time we ordered pizza. What kind and how many should I order?" Paige removed her cell from her pocket.

Mary Pat followed Billy Joe inside. As Paige followed, Cash touched her arm. When she turned toward him, he said, "Billy Joe's grandpa didn't speak for all Southerners. Not even for Billy Joe."

"Just most of them?" she asked.

"Probably the majority, but things are changing. It takes time."

"Just in case you're wondering, not all Northern men are gay." Paige walked inside and shut the door.

"Paige." Cash opened the door and rushed to stand in front of her. "I didn't make that comment." His eyes met hers'. "All I'm guilty of is not believing in ghosts." When Paige didn't acknowledge him, he added, "If you want me to go, I will." Again, she remained silent. Cash turned toward the front door.

She watched him take a few steps, before she reached out and touched his arm. "There are worse things than not believing in ghosts. I'll bet you that I have at least one ghost in this house. You up for a bet?"

He turned. "I am. What should we bet?"

"You can argue about the bet after the pizzas are ordered. At least one large pepperoni." Billy Joe grinned.

Paige scrunched her nose. "Will anybody help me eat a large all vegetable?"

"I will if there's no tomato. I don't like their taste baked," said Mary Pat.

"Why don't we go with two large meat lovers and a large veggie? That should be enough." Cash took out his phone. "I have the pizza place on speed dial." He glanced at each person to see if they'd agreed.

"The game starts in fifteen minutes. We don't have this TV set up yet." Billy Joe attached the cable wire to the back and unrolled the rest as he went into the living room. "Cash, turn it on," he yelled. "Has anybody paid the cable bill, since Paula passed?"

"Mr. Redman's supposed to take care of all the bills," Paige said as she studied the TV.

Within moments it was on and set to the correct channel. Each person pushed a chair into the dining room and prepared to watch the game. By the end of the top of the first inning there was a knock on the door. Paige got up to answer. Cash beat her to the door. "I got it."

Paige tilted her head. "It was my idea. I can pay."

"Now, they're arguing over who's paying. Those two were made for each other." Billy Joe laughed. "Just get the pizzas. You're missing the game."

"In case you're keeping score, I won that round." Cash smiled and set three boxes on the table.

Paige sighed and glanced at him. "He's stronger than me and shoved me out of the way. I'll get some plates."

"Who needs plates?" Billy Joe lifted a lid and took a slice. "It's perfect this way." He took his first bite.

She went toward the kitchen, but paused and turned her head toward Billy Joe and smiled.

"Mind your manners." Mary Pat slapped his arm. "I'll get the glasses and pitchers of tea." She followed Paige.

*****
Mary Pat returned from the kitchen. "Help yourself to the drinks." She touched Cash's shoulder. "Why don't you get the ice?"

He nodded and went into the kitchen. "I'm here for ice. What should I put it in?"

Paige set the plates and napkins on the counter. "I'm sorry about earlier."

Cash brushed a strand of hair from her cheek. "I've already forgotten it. Have you decided what we should bet?"

Paige paused then grinned. "How about if I win, I get to paint your fingernails the color of my choice?" She giggled.

"Okay. If I win, you'll have to, hum, that's a good question. I need to think about it." He chuckled.

When the two joined the others in the dining room, Billy Joe smiled. "I'm glad there's no such thing as ghosts. I couldn't be seen with you if you had painted nails. I think Paige should haveta go camping."

Cash laughed. "That'd be good, but I'm not sure she'd last without all the conveniences of home."

Paige smiled, grabbed a pillow from a chair, and threw it at Cash. "I'm insulted."

After catching the pillow, Cash grinned. "I should take you camping and time how long you could last."

"All right, if I lose, which I won't, I'll go camping with you. I'm not the little miss prissy you think I am." Paige grabbed the pillow back.

With a sigh, Mary Pat's eyes met Paige's. "I am not sure about this."

"Just because I'm from Massachusetts doesn't mean I don't know anything about camping."

"You misunderstood. I'm wondering about you being a female and Cash being a male."

"I'm bringing two tents and two sleeping bags." Cash chuckled.



Recognized


Do you have any idea how hard it is finding a ghost eating pizza? Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of a ghost eating pizza.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. I know my posts are short, but please remember they are part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel. I am over 21,000 words into this story. I cannot describe the main characters in each post, the novel would never end. The characters do continue to grow with each chapter.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.