Romance Fiction posted November 4, 2012 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 5, part 4

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
When the large walnut grandfather clock chimed five times, Nala glanced at her watch. "I can't believe it's this late. I better get home. My young'uns be expecting dinner." She smiled.

"Billy Joe'll want his too. I wonder if he'll take me out with my new look." Mary Pat touched her hair.

The three ladies turned when they heard footsteps. Paige shook her head. "You couldn't stay away, could you?" She held up her hand. "Do you like this color? I think it'd look good on you."

Nala and Mary Pat giggled.

"The three of you are nothing but trouble. Put you in the same room and it's disastrous." Cash chuckled.

"I'm going to ask Billy Joe to take me to dinner. Why don't you and Paige come along? It would be fun."

Cash glanced at Paige.

Paige held her breath, then said, "It's not necessary. I'm sure you have other plans." She glared at Mary Pat.

"I don't. Wanta go?" He removed his cell from his jeans' pocket. "Hey, Billy. Mary Pat and Paige want us to take them out. Where'd you like to go?" He listened a moment. "I don't think Micky D's is an option." He laughed.

Cash moved the phone from his ear. "How fancy are we talking? Is pizza all right? The Braves are on tonight. They're playing the Mets."

Mary Pat sighed. "I swear sports rules those two's lives."

"I have an idea." Paige glanced at Cash. "I have a wide screen TV. It's not unpacked yet. If you and Billy Joe'll unpack it, you can watch the game and we'll order pizza. I have plenty of ice tea left," she teased.

"Hush your mouth, child." Nala touched her hand. "Mr. Cash, we straightened her out on how much sugar to put in the tea."

He grinned and mouthed, "Thank you," then said in the phone, "Did you hear Paige's suggestion?" After putting away the phone, Cash said, "Billy Joe says it's a good idea. He'll be over in about twenty minutes."

Paige touched Nala's arm. "Why don't you bring the kids and join us?"

Nala shook her head. "It sounds like fun, but I'd better not. They need baths and need to get ready for Sunday morning meetings. If we came here, it'd be a late night." She hugged Paige before she left.

"Darn, I wish Nala would've joined us." Paige watched her drive away.

"I agree. We had fun this afternoon."

"Where's this TV?" Cash started up the steps. "I'm sure Billy Joe doesn't wanta miss any of the game."

"When the moving van dropped things off, they stacked the boxes in the back corner of the porch. I wasn't here, yet. So they made do."

Cash and Mary Pat followed Paige. She moved a few boxes and pointed to a large flat box leaning against the porch wall. "There it is."

"Holy cow!! How big is it?" Mary Pat's eyes widened.

After scooting behind some boxes, Cash looked the box over. "It must be around fifty inches." He glanced at Paige. "I'd say we'll be able to watch the game with no problems. Where should we set this baby up?"

"That's the reason it's not already up. I don't know what rooms I can and can't decorate. When it comes to decorating my house, I'm at your mercy."

Paige watched Cash carry the box and lean it against the dining room table. His muscles bulged.

Cash walked in and out of each downstairs room, then put his hand on the TV. "I guess this is the best room for now. I don't want to hang it up. I'll set it on the table, then move it against the wall so it doesn't fall." He pointed to an open area. "We can move some chairs in from the living room and it'll work great."

"Sounds like a plan." Paige leaned against the table and started to push.

"Whoa!! Let me move the TV first." He moved it aside. "We need to discuss the renovations so we're on the same sheet of music. Think about it over the weekend and we'll talk Monday."

"All right, but I don't know what can and can't be done. I know it has to get the historical thingy."

"It'll have to get the proper rating to be put on the National Register of Historical Places. It's my job to make sure that happens and you still have a place to live. I have a few ideas."

Mary Pat turned. "Did you hear that? Billy Joe, is that you? Stop fooling around."

Paige glanced toward Cash. "I heard laughter too."

"Billy Joe's not here, yet. I'm sure it's nothing more than a gust of wind that blew through an open crack. Hold the box steady." Cash moved Paige's hands to where he wanted them and took a knife from his pocket. "I don't want to cut you."

Within minutes the flat screen TV sat on the table. Cash searched around the floorboards for a cable jack. "I know Paula had cable, because we discussed it."

Paige walked into the living room. "When I visited, the TV sat on this cabinet." She tried to push the table aside. "I wonder where that TV's at?"

"That's a good question. Ask Mr. Redman about it." Cash moved Paige aside. "Let me get back there. It's probably solid walnut." He pushed, then held up the cable wires. "We'll need an extension to reach." He removed his cell and made a call. "You have any extra cable wire?" He glanced at the cable. "It's a male. Bring a female if you have one."

Mary Pat put her hands on her hips. "That man hasn't left, yet?"

"I caught him as he was walking out the door." Cash grinned.

They turned their heads toward a thump.

"I know the wind didn't do that. Somebody's in this house besides us." Mary Pat's eyes met Paige's.



Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of the Green-Meldrim House, which is a Gothic-revial mansion similar to Paige's house. Please notice the large trees surrounding the house.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. I know my posts are short, but please remember they are part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel. I am over 20,000 words into this story. I cannot describe the main characters in each post, the novel would never end. The characters do continue to grow with each chapter.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.