Romance Fiction posted October 28, 2012 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Girl talk.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 5.part 3

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Paige set down the meat and cheese tray and turned her head when she heard a knock. She smiled as she opened the door for Mary Pat and Nala. "Welcome." She glanced out the door. "You didn't see Cash hanging around, did you?"

"Just us. Nala picked me up. Billy Joe has the car. He's changing the oil. You're expecting Cash?" Mary Pat grinned.

"He was here earlier changing the locks. He's not too sure about the masseur."

"That doesn't surprise me. Did you really hire one? I've never had a massage."

Nala grinned. "Me neither."

Paige led them into the dining room and pointed toward the massage table. "Yep. I'm glad you both wore comfortable clothes. I think we'll have fun." The ladies followed her into the kitchen.

After pouring two sweet teas and one unsweetened, Paige motioned for the ladies to sit. "I thought we'd have finger food, so we could snack throughout the afternoon." She opened the refrigerator. "I have three different flavors of ice cream and topping too. Please help yourself." She pointed toward the bowls, spoons, and dipper.

Mary Pat took a drink of tea, closed her eyes, wrinkled her nose, and scrunched up her mouth.

Nala sipped hers and coughed. "Miz Paige, you make this tea?"

She nodded. "Please drop the miz and call me Paige. What's wrong with it?"

"It's way too sweet," the ladies said in unison.

"Cash drank a glass last night and didn't mention it." She frowned. "He was just being polite, wasn't he?"

Nala stood. "I'll make a pitcher and show you how much sugar to put in." She dumped the sweet tea down the drain and washed the pitcher.

The ladies stood around the stove and talked while they waited for the teapot to whistle.

Paige set the tea bags and sugar on the counter. As she watched Nala add the sugar, she laughed. "I used three times that amount. Oh dear." She covered her mouth as her cheeked twinged pink.

"Poor Cash." Mary Pat giggled.

"He's so sweet. He didn't say a word." Paige tilted her head.

"I'm wondering if you're sweet on him."

"I was thinking the same thing." Nala smiled.

"Heaven's no. He's a friend, that's all. Besides, he has a girlfriend. I met her earlier in the week. Tuesday night, I think."

"Are you sure? Billy Joe hasn't said a word. If he's been keeping that from me, I'll ... who knows what I'll do." Mary Pat laughed. "What's her name?"

"Karen, but I didn't get a last name. She's a waitress. Cash gave her a large tip."

"Is she pretty?" Nala asked as she glanced at Mary Pat.

"Would you say she's Cash's type?" Mary Pat winked at Nala.

"How'd Paige know what's his type? She just met the man five days ago." Nala shook her head.

"True, can you picture her with Cash?"

"All I can say is they looked pretty friendly with each other." Paige turned toward the knock on the door. "It must be Maurice. Ready for your massages?"

Paige introduced Maurice, who kissed Paige's hand then both the other ladies'. He handed Paige three individually wrapped, pink over-sized bath towels. Paige passed one to each of her friends. "Nala, would you show Mary Pat to the guest bathroom. She can go first, you second, and I'll be last.

*****
It wasn't long before they'd each finished their massage. Maurice had packed his things and left. The ladies changed back into their shorts and T-shirts then stretched.

Mary Pat spoke first, "Who would've thought having your back pounded would've felt so good? "

"I'm glad you liked it. How about you?" Paige smiled at Nala.

"It felt good, but a little sinful."

The ladies laughed.

Paige carried a large plastic container filled with all different shades of nail polish. "Choose your color."

Mary Pat lifted a flesh tone bottle up and laughed. "This looks exactly like the color Maurice wore."

"I don't know why any self-respecting man would get a manicure." Nala shook her head. "I just don't understand it."

Mary Pat put out a limp wrist. "All those muscles going to waste."

"I doubt Cash understood." Paige smiled.

"God help Maurice if he flirts with Cash or Billy Joe." Mary Pat laughed.

"Amen!" said Nala.

I guess my new friends aren't very tolerant of peoples' differences. Paige set the container on the table.

They gave each other a pedicure then a manicure. While they waited for it to dry, a discussion on music began.

Mary Pat laughed. "I can't believe you've never line danced. You're now a Southern gal, you need to learn, isn't that right?"

Nala smiled. "Do we have music?"

Paige showed them where the radio sat. Soon country music blared. The ladies line danced and laughed.

Paige stopped abruptly and turned toward the door when she heard a male voice, "Knock, knock."

"Cash, we're fine." She paused when she saw Dwayne Walker holding the door open, but remained outside. "Sorry, I thought you were somebody else."

"Obviously. May I come in?"

She walked over, turned the volume down, but didn't acknowledge the question. "We're having a girls' special day. My friends are teaching me to line dance." As she came toward him, she noticed his eyes searching her body when she walked. She crossed her arms over her chest. "How can I help you?"

"I have tickets for a classical concert tomorrow evening. I wondered if you would like to attend with me." He paused. "You do like classical music, don't you?"

"I'm sorry, but I already have plans." She put her hand on the door knob and edged it closed.

"Maybe another time." He scanned the room before leaving.

"Maybe." After the door was closed, she leaned against it and took deep breaths.

Nala and Mary Pat walked over to her, Mary Pat asked, "Who's he?"

"Dr. Walker, my department head."

"He gave me the creeps." Nala sighed. "Did you see how he glared at me? It was like I wasn't supposed to be here."

Paige stared out the window. "He makes me feel creepy too."

"Does Cash know about him?"

Paige turned and faced Mary Pat. "He met him Tuesday night and doesn't like him either."

"I can't believe you'll have to work with that man every day. Are you going to be all right?"

"I'm not sure. The good part's I only work part-time. I'm scheduled to teach two painting classes. I might teach one night class. They're waiting to see how many students register for it."

"If you're there at night, you'd better make sure he's nowhere around. I'd have Billy Joe or Cash give you a ride home." Mary Pat released a deep breath.

"I'd hate to impose." Paige glanced toward the door.

"I'd hate for you to be raped or molested."



Recognized


I took me three times to attempt to post this. I have no clue how it will turn out.

Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of nailpolish. Do you think Cash will let Paige do his nails? LOL

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. I know my posts are short, but please remember they are part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel.
This should take you to a line dancing video. I am a huge Alan Jackson fan.




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.