Romance Fiction posted October 21, 2012 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige hears a door slam.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 5, part 2

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Early the following morning Paige heard a door slam and rushed downstairs. She paused and pulled her robe around her slim waist. "Cash, what are you doing? You don't work on Saturdays. It's way too early for normal people to be up. Why do you have my doorknob in your hand?"

"Good morning to you, too. I see you made it safely through the night. Any more ghost scares?"

"Good morning." Her face turned a slight pink. "Sorry I heard a door slam. When I came downstairs, I didn't expect to see you." She paused. "No more incidents. What's all this about?" She moved her arms indicating the tools lying across the entryway.

"There was a wind gust and the door got away from me. Sorry, I woke you up. I got to wondering if your aunt gave out any more keys. I'm changing the locks." He held out his hand. "Here's your new key. If you don't want me to have one, take both."

"Keep it. While I'm at work, you may need access to the house."

He nodded. "I'm almost done here. The backdoor's finished. It uses the same key, only upside down."

"I thought you were here to join us for our girls' day out." She smiled.

"No way would I stay round for that." He grinned. "I'll be done before the ladies arrive."

She glanced toward the stairs. "Not a problem. I have a lot of things that need to be done before the ladies show up. I'd better get dressed."

When Paige returned, she paused in front of Cash and watched him replace some tools in his box. "I need to get busy in the kitchen."

"I have one more thing to check, then I'm finished. I'll see you tomorrow morning."

*****
It wasn't long before Cash escorted a tall muscular man into the kitchen. "Paige, this guy says you hired him for the massages. He wants to set up."

Paige turned and offered her hand. "Hello, you must be Maurice."

He took Paige's hand and kissed the top of it. "My pleasure, Madam."

Cash ran his hand through his short sandy hair. "I'll help carry stuff in. Paige, where do you want it set up?" He started toward the door, then turned back. "What time are Mary Pat and Nala showing up?"

She glanced at her watch. "In about an hour and a half."

"Come on, Maurice, we'd better get busy and let the lady finish getting ready. I'm sure it's all right if we set up in the dining room."

With a smile across her lips, Paige whispered, "That Southern boy's very protective, isn't he? I don't think he likes Maurice. I wonder why?" She finished setting out plates and silverware.

*****
"Madam, I'll return in about thirty minutes. I forgot one of the special oils I planned to use."

"Not a problem." She watched Maurice leave, then turned toward Cash. "You don't like him."

"I don't dislike him. I just think a man should have a real job. Not one where you rub oil on ladies' backs. Heck, I'd do it for free. How much you paying that guy anyway? I'm sure it's more than Mary Pat and Nala make in two weeks."

"It's none of your business." Her eyebrows rose. "I didn't know you were a licensed masseur."

"I'm not but I can give a gal a backrub. I knew we had a few brothels in town, but I didn't know we had any massage parlors. Is that what they call them nowadays?" Cash glanced toward the cot Maurice had set up. "Do you think I should stay to make sure things don't get out of hand?"

Paige put her hands on her hips. "We're going to paint finger and toe nails, do each other's hair, each have a thirty minute massage, eat, listen to music, and talk. Which part do you want to take part in? Maurice's fingernails were painted a flesh tone. I'd love to paint your nails fire engine red."

He glanced around the kitchen. "What's to eat?"

"Vegetables, dip, meat, cheese, crackers, petite fours, and Southern and Northern tea."

"I'll pass, but promise to call if this Maurice guy gets out of hand." Cash paused. After Paige indicated she would, he left.




Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of a kitten giving a massage. I was looking for a hunky man, but this photo was too cute. FS, I'm sorry, the silly side of me won out.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. I know my posts are short, but please remember they are part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.