General Fiction posted October 14, 2012 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige learns Aunt Paula gave out keys.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 5, part 1

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
The end of the previous chapter:
Paige watched Cash get inside his truck. I think that strong hunky Southern boy's scared of ghosts. She turned, saw movement, and screamed. Within seconds she heard banging on the door and Cash's voice, "Paige, you all right? Unlock the door. It's me."

With a trembling hand, Paige opened it and went into Cash's arms. After a few moments, he said, "I saw a shadow in the window. What happened?"

"I don't know. He was right over there." She pointed toward the parlor. "When I screamed, he disappeared."

*****
CHAPTER FIVE

"I'm sure cars' headlights caused the shadow." Cash glanced toward the window.

"That makes sense." Paige stepped back from him. "It's windy. Branches blowing could've made it look like it moved."

"If you want, I'll sleep on your couch."

Their eyes met. "If your mom knew you stayed at my house, she'd whip your butt."

"If she knew there was a lady in need and I didn't offer to help, she'd take me to the woodshed." Cash chuckled.

"Really?" Paige's eyes widened.

"You're in the deep South, sweetheart. Things are done differently down here."

"I'm beginning to figure that out. In Massachusetts, I never had to worry about ghosts." Paige rubbed her arms.

"You cold?"

"I felt the same chill at the hospital, but it's gone. Do you think it's the chill Evan talked about?"

"It wouldn't hurt documenting it."

Paige got paper and pencil, then sat at the table. "I'd better get a binder. I'll probably have a lot to write about."

After Paige finished, she stood. "Mr. or Mrs. Ghost, I'm sorry I screamed. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

Cash shook his head. "Have you decided what to do about tonight?"

"I'm fine now. There's nothing to fear in my own house." She glanced toward the front door. "You can leave."

"I'll walk you upstairs and make sure it's safe." Cash headed toward the staircase. Paige followed.

Outside Paige's bedroom door, she touched Cash's arm. "You're a good friend, but now that you see I'm all right, you can go. I'll walk down with you. I need to lock the door."

"You don't have to. I have a key." When Paige's eyebrows rose, Cash said, "Paula gave me one."

"My aunt must have thought highly of you." Why'd she do that? I'm not sure I like it.

"I guess she did." He turned toward the stairs. "I'll let myself out."

*****
At the bottom of the stairs, Cash opened the front door, then closed it. Something isn't right in this house and it ain't ghosts. He walked into the parlor and stared at the window. "I saw the shadow myself."

He turned his head, when he heard Paige's voice, "Cash, you can leave. I'm fine and going to bed. Good night."

"Good night. I'll leave in a few minutes. I need to check on a few things."

"Okay, see you Sunday morning."

Cash heard the bedroom door close and sat on the couch. I'm missing something, but what? He scanned the room. Could Paula've given somebody else a key? After a pause, he said, "I'm changing the locks first thing in morning." He started toward the door, then turned around. I'd better check the house once more.



Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of an image in a window.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. I know my posts are shor, but please remember they are part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel.

I hope you will begin to see the relevance of the ghost tour.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.