Romance Fiction posted October 7, 2012 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige and Cash return to her house.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 4, Part 6

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Previous post:
One of the young men asked, "Is that Blackbeard's head?"

"It's been reported he used to set his beard on fire to intimidate people," replied someone in the crowd.

"It's on fire." Paige's eyes widened.

"Is he holding a mug of ale?" asked a male voice from the group.

"He can't be. It's only his head," answered another.

Cash reached in his pocket and removed his cell phone. "I'm calling the police. This is weird."

*****
Today's post:

The police searched the room and found nothing except the faint smell of smoke. Some of the tour group went inside the Pirates' House and others went their separate ways.

As Cash and Paige walked toward her home, she released a deep sigh, then asked, "Was there really an Underground Railroad and tunnels under Savannah? Are we walking on a tunnel?"

Cash paused. "You know the Underground Railroad was a series of safe houses for runaway slaves, don't you?"

"Yes, but they could've hidden in tunnels."

"I don't know. I'd think a Ground Penetrating Radar would answer some of those questions. It's definitely a mystery." Cash took her hand. "Are you all right?"

"I'm not sure. I'd hoped the tour would answer some questions but now I only have more. Are there any Bookman's buried in the Colonial Park Cemetery? Aunt Paula said they owned large cotton fields a few miles west of town. I wonder if there's a family cemetery on that land. Maybe I'll ask Mr. Redman how to get there and check it out."

Paige paused at the curb a few moments before she continued, "Did any of them die of yellow fever? Are any of them buried under my house or somewhere in the yard? Are there tunnels under the house? If so, where do they lead and what were they used for? I'm guessing the Bookmans were slave owners. Were they nice to their slaves? Did any of them have affairs with their servants? Were the tunnels used to hide slaves? How many people died in my house? Is anybody here missing an arm or a leg?" Paige shoved her hands in her jeans' pockets. "What about my ghost?"

Cash chuckled. "You probably don't even have a ghost."

"I have a ghost all right. I just hope it's not Blackbeard. That guy's spooky."

When they arrived at Paige's house, Cash walked up the steps, stopped, and turned around. "Are you coming? What's wrong?"

"I was just thinking." Paige's eyes met his. "I should be scared, but I'm not. I'm wondering why."

"I don't understand." Cash moved closer to her.

"Mary Pat and Nala are coming over tomorrow for girl fun." Page smiled. "What if my ghost makes an appearance? My ghost's friendly. I don't want to hurt his feelings."

"If there's such a thing as ghosts, I doubt they have feelings." Cash chuckled.

"You don't believe in ghosts?" Paige's eyebrows rose. "I thought you saw ghosts at the cemetery."

"I saw something. I'm sure they were actors."

"What about Blackbeard's head? I'd say it proved he spent time in Savannah."

"Again, it was for effect. It proves nothing. There's still no proof he was ever in Savannah." Cash took Paige's arm. "Come on. I'll turn on the lights."

"But Evan was as shocked as we were. He didn't know anything about it."

"He's a good actor," Cash held the door open. When they were both inside, Cash said, "Stay here and I'll search the house." He started to walk away, then turned toward her. "You have your cell phone, don't you?"

Paige held it up, nodded, and watched Cash walk into the kitchen.

A few moments later, Cash called to her, "This area's clear. If you want, you can come in here to wait."

Paige crept into the room. "If there's a ghost and he didn't want you to see him, he could hide from you, right?"

"I guess." He shook his head. "No, there's no such thing as ghosts."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive."

"I'm not sure if you're trying to convince me or yourself."

"Let me check upstairs and turn on the lights. I'll be right back."

Paige waited at the bottom of the stairs. When he returned, she teased, "Is my bedroom safe?"

"Are you sure you'll be all right?"

"I'm fine, really." She walked Cash to the door. "Good night. I'll see you Sunday morning."

"Call if you need me."

Paige watched Cash get inside his truck. I think that strong hunky Southern boy's scared of ghosts. She turned, saw movement, and screamed. Then she heard banging on the door and Cash's voice, "Paige, you all right? Unlock the door. It's me."

With a trembling hand, Paige opened it and went into Cash's arms. After a few moments, he said, "I saw a shadow in the window. What happened?"

"I don't know. He was right over there." She pointed toward the parlor. "When I screamed, he disappeared."




Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of Green-Meldrim House. It was built in Gothic-revival architecture. The same as Paige's house.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional.

I hope you will begin to see the relevance of the ghost tour.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.