Romance Fiction posted September 30, 2012 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The ending of the ghost tour.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 4, Part 5

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
"Back in the days when cotton was 'king,' ships docked at the Savannah harbor." Evan used his fingers to highlight the word king. "The Pirates' House was a popular haunt in many ways." The tour guide winked at the group.

As the group gathered in front of the gray building Evan continued, "When a certain police officer heard the same story I told you at the beginning of the tour, he searched deeper and deeper into the tunnel." As Evan pretended to pull something, his voice changed. "He heard noises. The officer took a closer look and witnessed sailors dragging a body through a dirt wall." He stopped abruptly and stood straight. "The officer ordered the tunnel sealed. Today you can see the bricks that seal the entrance."

The oldest teenager with the group asked, "Can we see it?"

"When the tour's over you can go downstairs and take a look." Evan paused. "But there are others who haunt this building." He grinned. "I need to tell you about Anna, a promiscuous young lady who met the man of her dreams. She fell in love and at seventeen became pregnant. When the man learned of the pregnancy, he ran off. Anna, very distraught, jumped from this second floor window to her death." He pointed to the window. "A few years later, strange things started happening in that room, especially on Sundays. One couple who had rented the room tells the story about getting into an argument. The wife made her husband sleep on the couch. In the middle of the night the man heard his wife come beside him and felt her kiss. They proceeded to 'make-up.'" Evan chuckled. "In the morning the wife knew nothing about the 'make-up.'" He winked and grinned.

"One of Savannah's favorite stories is about a young lady, Florence Martus. Her statue sits on River Street and welcomes the sailors."

Paige glanced at Cash.

"I'll take you by it. Is Sunday soon enough?" he asked.

"The story goes that Florence lived in the Cockspur Lighthouse with her brother. She had a lonely life with her collie as the only companion. To entertain herself the young girl waved a white towel and welcomed ships into the harbor. This continued for forty-four years."

One of the teenagers sighed. "That's great, but what about the pirates?"

"Of course, no ghost tour would be complete without pirates. I'll save Blackbeard for last."

"Isn't Blackbeard the most famous pirate from this area?" a man in his early twenties asked.

"He probably is, but Captain Flint was supposed to be at the Pirates' House when Robert Louis Stevenson met him."

The oldest gray-headed man said, "Some research says Captain Flint is an imaginary character Stevenson made up."

"There's no way of knowing for sure." The tour guide released a deep breath. "Anne Bonny was the illegitimate daughter of a rich Irish lawyer and his servant. When his wife made it public, the lawyer and the servant moved to the New World and settled in Charleston, South Carolina"

"Great more history." The teenager rolled his eyes.

"Anne was a strong, independent woman. She married James Bonny, who was a small-time pirate. When her husband became a government informer, she ran away with Calico Jack Rackham. Anne was known for her ruthlessness and wore men's clothing. Calico Jack and Anne Bonny were eventually captured. Calico Jack and the crew were hung. Anne was pregnant. It was against the law to hang a pregnant female. Somehow Anne escaped. Some say her rich father paid her way out of prison, some say she still roams the area between Charleston and Savannah." Evan's eyes widened. "Nobody's sure what became of the baby or if there really was one."

The tour guide put his right hand above his eyebrows and looked toward the Savannah River. "I'm just checking." He shook his head before he said, "Blackbeard was killed off the coast of North Carolina. His crew attempted to board a sloop commanded by Lieutenant Robert Maynard from the HMS Pearl. Blackbeard fought with Maynard and was killed by Maynard's men and his head was hung from the sloop's bow as it returned to Virginia." Evan stared again toward the harbor. "That's when the weirdness began. According to legend, Blackbeard's corpse swam around Maynard's ship three times while his head shrieked loudly. From that day on, many have spotted his ghost swimming as it glowed an eerie light. This light is called 'Teach's Light.' Blackbeard's real name is Edward Teach. Some say he's searching for his head."

"Look!" The youngest teenager pointed toward a second-story window, then fainted.

While the tour group looked toward the window, the parents attended to the boy.

Paige gasped. "Do you see that?"

"I see it, but I don't believe it. It has to be a trick, just like the actors at the cemetery." Cash's eyes were glued to the window.

"What the ..." Evan paused and didn't finish the sentence. "I've never seen anything like it."

The parents revived their son. He glanced toward the window and fainted again.

One of the young men asked, "Is that Blackbeard's head?"

"It's been reported he used to set his beard on fire to intimidate people," replied someone in the crowd.

"It's on fire." Paige's eyes widened.

"Is he holding a mug of ale?" asked a male voice from the group.

"He can't be. It's only his head," answered another.

Cash reached in his pocket and removed his cell phone. "I'm calling the police. This is weird."




Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of Blackbeard's ghost.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional.

In upcoming posts, Paige will help you see the relevance of the ghost tour.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.