Romance Fiction posted September 9, 2012 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The ghost tour continues.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 4, Part 2

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
"Shiver me timbers! Here ye'll find the blood thirstiest sea-dogs, scallywags and wenches of history, including Blackbeard, Anne Bonny, Calico Jack, and many more." The tour guide, who a Confederate uniform, waved his arms.

"If we're talking about pirates, why you dressed in the grays?" A man in his twenties chuckled.

"Very good question, young man. Believe it or not our sweet, Southern city has a dark secret; we have more residents than we can count, literally." He laughed. "With our colorful history of dastardly pirates and violent battles, some of the spirits of Savannah's past are still among us." The tour guide's eyes widened. "Savannah is often described as charming, captivating, and graceful, but has a mysterious dark side and has been recognized as America's most haunted city."

"Will any of these residents cast a vote in November?" The same young man laughed.

"That is an interesting question. You'll have to ask the voting judges." He turned and walked toward the street. "My name is Evan. Come with me, and experience the things that go bump in Savannah's night." Turning back toward the group of thirteen, he added, "If you're brave, you should check out our centuries-old cemeteries." He smiled.

Paige glanced over the group, which was made up mostly of men in their late twenties and thirties, except for one family with two teenagers,, and one older couple. She took Cash's arm. "This is going to be fun, isn't it?"

He shook his head. "I guess."

Evan stopped and pointed behind the Pirates' House. "Under Savannah there are numerous tunnels. During our history, they served many purposes. The pirates have been known to get a man so drunk he passed out. Later when he woke up, he was sailing the ocean forced into service as a deckhand on a pirate ship. This is where the term 'shanghaied' originated. I'll discuss more about the tunnels later in the tour."

"See there are tunnels." Paige poked Cash's arm as they followed the tour guide across the street.

"I hope you have your walking shoes on. This tour covers much of the Historical Section of Savannah." On the sidewalk, Evan paused. "A little history about our city. General Edward Oglethorpe sailed from England and landed in 1733. He made agreements with the Yamacraw Indians and created this town. His plan for the city included twenty-four squares. Twenty-two of them exist today. We'll walk by or through most of them." After a brief moment, he continued, "Savannah made the thirteenth English American Colony. After the Revolution, our fair city was the first capital of Georgia."

Paige smiled at Cash. "I didn't know anything about the history. Since it's now my home, I should know a little bit. I'll research it when I get home."

After the group entered a park, the tour guide continued, "This is Emmet Park, named after Robert Emmet. He was an eighteenth-century Irish patriot. The park contains the Celtic cross, monuments to German Hussars and Vietnam's fallen soldiers. This was once an Indian burial ground. Some say a few Native Americans still make their presence known." Evan grinned.

"Maybe my ghost is Native American." Paige giggled.

"Or maybe all you have is a vivid imagination." Cash chuckled.

"As we leave this area, I want to walk by the Olde Pink House. It was built in 1771 by James Habersham and is the oldest building in town. It was a headquarters for a Yankee general during the Civil War."

Eleven group members booed.

"Why'd they do that?" whispered Paige.

"Many Southerners still view the war as the War of Northern Aggression." Cash sighed.

"Mr. Habersham didn't like the pink color so would have the house painted white. To his dismay the house would return to pink." The tour guide laughed. "Since the Olde Pink House is now a restaurant, every employee has seen Mr. James Habersham himself on many occasions."

He paused a few moments. "It seems another spirit lingers at this house, a war veteran. He likes to sit at the bar in full Revolutionary War attire. It has been reported that he's friendly. He raises his drink, smiles, then vanishes."

Paige giggled. "I bet my ghost has a sense of humor."

Cash glanced her way and sighed.

Evan continued, "A third ghost walks the house or now restaurant and seems to be a descendent of James Habersham. He appears in solid form and orders a drink from the bar. After he's done, he walks down to the cemetery where he disappears close to where his body is buried. This house is reported to have a few more entities. A female has been heard crying on the second floor by guests and employees."

"Hum, I wonder what her story is." Paige tilted her head.

"A specter of a former house servant has been seen and several slave children. It seems the children are mischievous and enjoy playing in the basement. They have been known to throw dice against walls and bathroom doors, hit bartenders with wine bottles, and lock people in restrooms." Evan chuckled. "Let's continue."

"I guess even ghost children are stinkers." Paige stared at the house, before she followed the group.

"Next is Wright Square. This square is named for James Wright, Georgia's last colonial governor. A slab of granite from Stone Mountain adorns the grave of Tomo-Chi-Chi, the Yamacraw chief who befriended General Oglethorpe and the colonists."

Paige smiled at Cash.

"Don't even say it. Your ghost is not an Indian chief." Cash shook his head. "You're incorrigible." He stopped and stared at her. "You don't even know if you have a ghost."

"The finest example of English Regency architecture in America is the Owen-Thomas House. It still has the original carriage house, which contains the earliest intact urban slave quarters in the South." Evan continued, "I wouldn't have done my job if I didn't show you the birthplace of the Girl Scouts, the Andrew Low House. It also contains a bedroom that friend and visitor General Robert E. Lee slept in."

Paige pointed to another house down the street. "What about that house?"

"It's the Marshall House. We'll stop at it on the way back to the Pirates' House." Evan crossed the street. "Follow me."

The tour group then entered the Colonial Park Cemetery.

Evan pretended to dry his eyes. "I'm sorry to tell you this, but Sherman's troops set up camp here and for their own amusement moved some headstones and altered inscriptions. Ghosts reportedly search this park looking for their headstones. This was a final resting place for many Savannahians from 1750 until 1853. A yellow fever or yellow jack killed about 5000 citizens over a period of three epidemics. We'll stop here for a few moments. See if you can help some poor soul find the proper headstone."

Paige hurried off from the group studying each grave marker.

*****
Cash called after her, "I doubt your ghost is here." This woman doesn't have an ounce of common sense. He started to follow, but paused as a movement at the far end of the cemetery caught his attention. Why would a couple wearing mid 1850's clothing be standing arm-in-arm facing a grave? Cash stepped closer. The woman appears to be crying. They must be actors for the tourists. He watched the man take the woman into his arms. They are acting. Cash started to walk toward them. As the couple faded away, Cash wiped his eyes. Now, I'm seeing things.

"Boo!" Paige sneaked up behind him.

Cash jumped.

"Are you all right?" She studied his face.




Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of the 'Colonial Park Cemetary' in Savannah, GA. The image is supposed to be of a ghost. I'll let you decide.
Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional.
I have two more post about the ghost tour. I'm worried that I'm spending too much time on it. Please let me know your feelings.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.