Romance Fiction posted August 26, 2012 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ghost tricks, again?

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 3, Part 4

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Cash answered a knock on his mother's door and his eyes widened. "Nala, what brings you here? Come in." He held the door open. "Is something wrong?"

"Mr. Cash, it's Miz Paige. When I was fixin' dinner, I couldn't remember turnin' off the iron. I went back to check and Miz Paige was gettin' her camera ready. She was goin' to the river walk and take pictures. She spent the day upstairs paintin'. I don't think somebody as purdy as her should be down there after dark."

Cash released a deep breath. "You're right. I'd better get her or at least stay until she gets what photos she wants." He turned. "Mom, I need to check on Paige. I guess up North they don't teach common sense." He held the door for Nala and followed her out. "Thank you for telling me. I guess it's going to be a full-time job working for this lady."

Nala smiled. "I wouldn't go that far, besides, I've seen the way you look at her." She shut the car door and waved.


After parking his pickup, Cash walked down the same stairs he and Paige had used the previous night. I'm guessing she went to the same spot. I hope she's still there. He walked toward the river. What did Nala mean by 'seeing the way I look at Paige?' I don't look at her any different than I do anybody else.

Close to the river, he noticed a group of teenage males standing around a petite female. As he jogged toward them, he saw one of boys holding a tripod above his head and Paige trying to reach it. "Give her the tripod and go on your way."

The seven teenagers turned toward Cash. The tall slender male holding the tripod glared. "Aren't you Cash Wilkins?"

"Yep, I am." He nodded his head.

"You got a full ride to Georgia. Weren't you a D-end? Didn't you have a third down fourth quarter sack against Auburn?" He turned toward his buddies. "My old man talks about this dude all the time. His younger bro went to high school with him."

After eyeing Cash for a few moments, the teenager handed the tripod to Paige and nodded for his friends to follow. "Let's go. Leave the dude's girlfriend alone. He's a football legend."

Cash watched them leave, then turned toward Paige. "What are you doing out here alone?"

"Taking photographs of light reflections on the water." Paige scrunched her eyebrows together and shook a fist in their direction. "Until those hoodlums came around."

"I guess I need to rephrase my question. The river walk isn't a safe place for young women alone after dark." He hesitated. "If you would've said something, I would've brought you."

"I didn't want to be a bother. How did you know I was here?" She sighed. "Nala told you."

"Maybe your ghost told me," he teased.

Paige set up her tripod. "I only need a few more." After taking some photos, Paige took the camera off the tripod and snapped a few pictures of Cash.

"What are you doing?" He reached over and took the camera from her. "I didn't give you permission to take my picture." He chuckled. "How do I delete them?"

"You didn't say I couldn't. Besides, I hear you're a legend." She giggled as she put the tripod in the case. "I'm finished."

"It's just kid talk." Cash held up the camera. "You haven't told me how to work this thing."

"And I'm not going to. Maybe I'll want to paint your portrait someday." Paige rubbed her arms.

"I see you didn't bring a jacket." He handed her the camera, removed his shirt, leaving only his T-shirt, and put it around her shoulders. "I'll give you a ride home."

Paige lifted the shirt to her nose. "This shirt has the same scent, as your shirt last night." She smiled. "I like your smell."

Cash sighed.


They walked up the stairs and Cash led Paige toward his pickup. "You weren't serious about painting me, were you?"

"I can promise I won't get any paint on you." She grinned.

"You know what I meant. Stop being silly." He opened the passenger door.

Paige blinked her big blue eyes and flashed a huge smile. "Moi?"

"I give up." Cash shook his head as he walked around the truck and sat behind the steering wheel.


When Cash parked in front of the house, Paige glanced at the second-floor window of the room she'd used for painting. "Cash, I'm sure I didn't have that light on. I like to paint in natural light. I only left on the kitchen light." She paused. "I don't like walking into a dark house by myself."

"But you don't have any problems going down to the waterfront after dark by yourself, right?" He let out a small groan. "Stay here and I'll make sure nobody's in there."

"What if it's Blackbeard?"

"What if it's nobody?" Cash took the key from Paige. "Stay put." He walked toward the house.

Cash searched the downstairs rooms and listened to the silence. There's nobody here. She probably left the light on. He started up the stairs. At the top, he checked each bedroom before going into the room she'd used to paint. He stared at the painting of a pirate ship in the Savannah River. Glancing at the computer still on, he smiled. She did her homework on the Jolly Roger flag Blackbeard used. He backed up and the light went off.

He heard a noise and sensed someone behind him. He whirled around and jumped the intruder, bringing them both to the floor. THUD!

"Ouch!"

"You're supposed to be in the truck."

"But what if the prowler hurt you and you needed help?" She sighed. "Would you get off me? You're heavy."

"How would you help me from in here?" Cash used his arms to do a push up off her, then stood. "The prowler would hurt you too. If you had stayed in the truck and I didn't return in a timely manner, you could've called the police." He reached out his hand to help her up.

Paige accepted his offer, stood, turned the light on, and walked over to the computer. She picked up her cell phone. "Not from the truck I couldn't. I forgot to take it with me."

Cash clinched his jaw. "I don't think there's anybody here."

"But who turned on the light?"

"I don't know. Do you have a finger print kit?" he teased.

"Of course not, silly." She grabbed the mouse on her computer. "I'd better get one." She stopped and glanced at him. "Ghosts don't have finger prints, do they?"

The computer screen began flashing images and turned itself off. Paige backed up and covered her mouth. "What just happened?"

The lights flashed off. Cash glanced at the ceiling light. "I'd better check the wiring in this room first thing in the morning."

*****
When Nala arrived the following morning, Paige led her outside. "Cash, you need to talk with Nala."

He walked over to the stairs. "What about?"

"Last night." She glanced at Nala. "Tell him when we left."

"Miz Paige and I left the house together. She had her camera ready to take pictures of the river walk."

"Tell Cash about the lights."

Nala glanced at Paige and raised her eyebrows. "All the lights were off except in the kitchen area. Why?"

"See. I didn't leave any upstairs lights on." Paige's hands were on her hips.

"What is going on?" Nala's look darted between Paige and Cash.

"I brought Paige back last night and the upstairs room she uses to paint in had a light on." Cash removed his hat, ran his fingers through his hair, and replaced the cap. "Come on, Billy Joe, there must be a loose wire." The men followed the ladies inside.

The men were ready to leave for the day, when Paige handed Billy Joe an envelope. "Please give this to your wife. Plans have changed for Saturday afternoon and I wanted to let her know." She turned toward Cash. "How's my wiring?"

"I couldn't find any problem."



Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of the Jolly Roger Flag that Blackbeard is supposed to have used. I'm sure by now you have figured out that I love Savannah. Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional.
School officially begins Monday. What happened to summer?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.