Romance Fiction posted August 19, 2012 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cash and Paige continue their walk.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 3, Part 3

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Outside the restaurant, Cash directed Paige toward the Savannah River. "I'll show you the Pirates' House on the way home." He led her down a stone staircase that led to the river walk.

Paige stared at the river. "Wow! The lights and the moon's reflection off the water are beautiful." She rubbed her arms. "It would be a beautiful painting. I'd make sure the cobblestones and the Spanish moss hanging from the oak trees were somehow in the picture."

"Just think how pretty it would be with a full moon." Cash unbuttoned his shirt. "I bet you're chilly." He put it around her shoulders. "It'll help a little. The breeze off the river is cool."

"I never thought to grab a jacket." She glanced at his muscles and a pink flush came to her cheeks.

"What's wrong? We're both wearing white tank-tops."

"Yours is to be worn as underclothes. Mine is not."

Cash chuckled. "Believe me. Yours should be worn as underclothes too." He took her hand. "This way to the Pirates' House." They climbed back up the stone staircase.

After climbing up the steps, they turned right and walked along River Street again. Cash smiled. "I bet you could have fun in these shops."

"I think this is where Nala, Mary Pat, and I are shopping Saturday afternoon."

Cash stopped walking and faced Paige. "It's none of my business and I don't want to hurt your feelings, but you have a lot of money. I know Mary Pat and Billy Joe live from paycheck to paycheck. I'm guessing Nala and her family do too. She has four or five kids."

"What are you trying to say?"

"Neither of them can afford lunch and shopping."

Paige stuffed her hands in her jean's pockets. "You don't think it's a good idea?"

"All I'm saying is the three of you can come up with a less expensive idea."

"What do you do for fun?" Paige asked as they continued walking.

"Work on my old car and fish."

"I doubt we can do either of those." Paige smiled. "What kind of car do you have?"

"1969 Charger. It purrs like a kitten. I just repainted it. I bet you've never been fishing, have you?" After she shook her head, Cash continued, "How about if I pick you up Sunday morning for church, we'll have dinner with Mom, and then go fishing?"

"I can't wear my Sunday-go-to-meetin' clothes fishin'."

Shaking his head, Cash laughed. "Please don't try your Southern drawl again. Bring your old blue jeans and a shirt. While Mom's finishing dinner, you can change."

As they turned down East Broad Street, Dwayne Baker walked up to them. Dwayne addressed Paige, "Ms. Swanson, I'm surprised to see you here."

"Cash and I took a walk along the Savannah River. Now, he's going to show me the Pirates' House."

"I didn't picture you as a Pirates' House kind of date." Dwayne chuckled.

Cash held out his hand. "Cash Wilkins. I'm just showing Paige the Pirates' House. She was asking about pirates."

Dwayne hesitated, before taking Cash's hand. "Dr. Dwayne Baker. I'm head of the fine arts department at SCAD."


Paige pulled the shirt tighter around her small frame.

"We'd better be moving along. It looks like Paige's cold." Cash paused. "Nice meeting you, Dwayne."

"Nice meeting you, also."

Cash glanced over his shoulder, making sure they weren't in hearing range. "Is that guy your boss?"

"There are administrators above him."

With a chuckle, Cash said, "Good." He pointed to a grey building with green shutters. "The Pirates' House."

"Can we get closer?"

After Paige and Cash crossed the street, Paige jogged ahead and began reading a plaque. "It says the Pirates' House is supposed to be the oldest building in Savannah and next to it was the first garden in the US. Because Savannah was a seaport blood-thirsty pirates came and drank grog."

"There's plenty of history to it."

Paige moved over to some hanging fliers and pointed. "Oh look! They have ghost tours."

"Let me guess, you want to go on a ghost tour?" After she smiled, Cash stepped closer and read the flier. "Would you like to go Friday evening?"

"Yes, I might find out something about my ghost. Do you think it could be a pirate?"

"I think you have a vivid imagination." Cash laughed.

"Humm. There's supposed to be a tunnel leading from here to the river." She turned and stared toward the waterway. "Do you think my tunnel goes to the river too?"

"You don't even know if you have one."

"True, but ..." She giggled. "This is fun."

"Let's see, you now have plans for Friday evening, Saturday afternoon, and pretty much all day Sunday. I'd say you're a very busy lady."

"Today's only Tuesday. I guess I can find something to do tomorrow and Thursday."

"With your imagination, I'm sure you will." He glanced at his watch. "We'd better head for home. It's getting late."


Paige unlocked her house and turned toward Cash. "Would you like to come in for a few minutes?"

"No, I better not. I need to make sure Mom made it home from Bingo, then I want to check the house plans."

"Are you searching for the tunnel?"

"If there's a tunnel, I'm sure you'll find it. See you in the morning. Call if you have any problems."

Paige stood at the door and watched Cash drive away. His Southern charm can sure warm a girl's heart. The last thing I need in my life is another man.



Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of stone stairs leading to the river walk in Savannah. I found them slighly slippery, but it might just be me. Brian and I vacationed there in 2004. I fell in love with the city and my muse decided I should write about it. In another chapter I had Dwyane Simpson. A reviewer thought I should change it because Simpson is close to Swanson. I did. His name is now Dwayne Baker. I hope soon you'll be able to understand where my first two posts of this novel fit.
Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional.
In my school district teachers report to work starting Monday, and the students begin back the 27th. I will be back to posting only Sunday afternoons and probably my posts will be much shorter. Thank you for your patience.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.