General Fiction posted May 3, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
From Imagination to Reality

What Is Love?

by Claire Tennant


The Greatest lie ever supported by screen or stage play is that love is "a many splendoured thing". It took me a long time to learn that. Visiting the cinema at the tender age of five, I discovered that the film "The Sound of Music" represented everything life should be; that even the threat of Hitler's power could be overcome with love. Yeah right! History told a different story.

I was also introduced, however gently, to those wonderful businessmates known affectionately as "Rogers and Hammerstein". Further I recently discovered that this picture was such a success the business continued to thrive as opposed to submitting to failure. I guess it is the attitude of "Let's Pretend that life is always hunky dory" that provides relaxation moments and healthy bank accounts. There is still enjoyment to be had in these movies nonetheless. These days, I watch them with reality spectacles on my nose, tissues close by and the inevitable chocolate.

As a youngster, I believed that love was a warm and cosy thing; your life would change, and it would be gorgeous sunsets and kisses forever more. After all, were not Mummy and Daddy proof of this? To an extent, yes, but...

When I was nineteen, I met a young man who reminded me of Dad. He was a good Christian, calm, clever, and caring. His family was lovely on the surface, and I imagined white veils, dresses, and pink roses. As time wore on, it was evident to those around me that it was not going to happen. I loved the idea of love and believed, given time, my 'Captain Von Trapp' would kiss me in the garden. It ended up as Captain Von Slap in a metaphorical sense.

When reality hit, I did what you are supposed to do: love enough to let go. Then I discovered he had found another. I remember crying in my Mum's arms; to be more truthful, I was sobbing like a two-year-old. It took some time to adjust. To this day, even though I met another gorgeous bloke who healed my heart, I look to the past and smile, thinking how naive I was then.

Years and another broken heart session later, I was waiting for a train at the end of the business day. Who should be standing on the train for reasons unknown but Captain Von Slap? He smiled, and though tempted to join him, I turned left, entered the alternative carriage and sat down shattered but strong. I told my supervisor, who was also a friend, the next day. She smiled, saying.
"Good on you, you realise you are the winner."

I often think of Von Slap. I did meet him years later, and we had a polite conversation. By this time, I had my own home, and he was a Dad.
The truth is that Love, as we know, is not bright sunsets and hungry kisses in La La Land. It's hard work. Marriage which eventually came my way, requires many kisses, many change the subject moments, alternating with concern for your chosen life partner's welfare moments.
My darling only has to hear my voice tremble on a business call, and he takes over
"My wife is asking for... Please answer."
"Yes, Mr T. No, Mr T."

Von Slap was an experience I never want to repeat, but I matured and still enjoy the old aforementioned movies and others of their ilk
By the way there is a beautiful sunset promised tonight. Sorry you will miss it


 



Revelation Flash writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
You just discovered that something you thought was true is, in fact, a lie.
It could be a big or small thing, personal or widespread, good news or very bad news, based on real life or imagined.
Tell us what it is and then you could talk about how you found out, the consequences of learning the truth, or anything related to this new-to-you revelation.

Aim for a 500-ish word limit


No disrespect intended for the song sung by Andy Williams or the film of the same name.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by lynnkah at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Claire Tennant All rights reserved.
Claire Tennant has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.