Biographical Non-Fiction posted May 3, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The last Mother's Day talking to Mom

A Tribute to Mom

by Nottoway


It hardly seems like it was eight years ago, when I talked to Mom on her last Mother's Day. She asked when I was coming to see her and I told her it would be soon.
One of the things I remember most was her telling me that if I needed help, she had some money and would help me make it home. That will forever stay deep in my heart as it made me know that in the previous thirty-four years, no matter where I was in the world she thought about me during those travels. I knew I had not made it home enough during the years and I missed so much.
Then a few months, later after retiring, my first goal was to go home to Virginia. I knew from the conversations with my sisters that she was beginning to having more difficulties. Upon arrival, I went to see her and she knew who I was but she was very weak. I knew the visit was bittersweet and sensed her end may be near.

When I began the more than twelve hundred mile drive back to Texas there were the thoughts and remembrance of so many years that had gone past. I thought about how there were times when I had been home over the years and people would just stop by to see "Mrs. Clara". I had great appreciation for the kindness, fairness and respect she had always shown others. And there was great appreciation for the kindness and respect that people were showing her.
I got back to Texas in early September 2016. It was about a week later that word came that Mom was not doing well. One of my sisters had recognized that she may be needing a different level of care than the rest home she was in could provide. Following a trip to the hospital, she was moved to a different care center.

It was on September 29, 2016, that I got the call that Mom had passed. I prepared to make the drive back to Virginia and I left Texas in time to make it home for services on October 5, 2016.
The home going service for my mom was very fitting. Stories were told her being a story-teller and her love of dancing. Each person's tribute was both light and poignant.

It is now seven years and eight months later as Mother's Day approaches that I again pay respect and tribute my mom.
I love you, Mom.





Thanks to avmurray for lending a fitting picture to add to my tribute.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Nottoway All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Nottoway has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.