General Fiction posted April 30, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The daily ritual

Walkies Anyone

by Claire Tennant


There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. That, at least, is what I told myself. The impending rain had made its presence felt, the clouds darkening by the hour and the chill to the air added to the overall inner misery I felt.
In my own selfish way, I tried to tidy the house, muttering to myself as I went, knowing only "Ponder" the poodle would hear me. There was a look of disdain on his face as though to tell the world that his human Mum was going mental, either that or she was a coward and for two doggie treats, he would report her. After all, it was not raining yet, it was just cold. He looked at me as though to say:
"Get a coat on you jerk, and take me out."

I am sure dogs know how to talk without moving their lips; their eyes speak volumes. In this case, Ponder's eyes could speak in English and French simultaneously.
I looked at him. An innocent bystander would see the tug-of-war between human and dog, but alas, there was no support. Ponder still stared. Reluctantly, I changed shoes, put on a jacket, took my purse and umbrella, and finally, the dog leash.

As I opened the front door, the wind became stronger, as though welcoming me. The roses on my favourite bush fell to the ground, naturally in their petal state. The branches of the weeping willow swayed in a merry dance. I shivered, but Ponder was ready to pull me over if need be.

He sniffed every blade of grass on every nature strip. I shivered and tugging the leash was a waste of time. He sniffed and did what dogs do. Ugh.

Walking around the corner, Ponder gave an excited bark. Looking ahead, I saw my neighbour with his pooch Bonny, also a poodle, approaching. Ponder ran pulling me, fortunately not off my feet.
Glenn just smiled.
I was going to ring and ask if you wanted me to take the love dogs with me." he said looking at me.
"Are you alright, Sue?"
"Yes, I'm fine; just cold."
"What say we grab a coffee and sit under the shelter?"
Well, folks, Glenn and I had a good chinwag, and Ponder kept looking at Bonny. Then, as dog pals often do, they sat; she was bossing him around. Ponder was lapping the attention up.

Well, there may have been a possibility for a walk that day after all, but inclement weather or not it was not going to happen.



 



First Line Flash writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Choose a first line from a famous novel, and continue on with a story of your own. (Google will quickly give you a listing of first lines, if needed). List the novel in the notes.
No poetry
Any genre
300 words approx. limit



Ex: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, and I had a flat tire at rush hour...
(A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens)


"There was no possibility of taking a walk that day." First line Chapter 1 Jane Eyre

Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by suzannethompson2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Claire Tennant All rights reserved.
Claire Tennant has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.