General Fiction posted April 30, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Demented Story #... I lost count

To Be Or Not To Be

by Tom Horonzy


What was Olde Bill thinking when he had Hamlet dissert to Ophelia, whom he loved, that she should enter a nunnery? Had she become a wretched soul (like me) undesirable? Nay? Her beauty stayed hid beneath sheaths of cloth where her buxomous beauty lay. 

That's where Claudius, Hamlet's stepdad, enters the scene figuring Hammie had a screw work loose, thought perhaps he should send the lad to England where there were lots of lost screws to be found; however, his confidant, Polonius, having a PhD in Psychology, suggested he talk to the boy after the play, along with Laertes and Ophelia (who names a daughter after a North Sea crab). In fact, back in the day, many children were maimed, being insanely named Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, Fortinbras, Osric, and Horatio.

But, here I cease waxing poetic to ask what would be thought by one today if "To be or Not to Be" came into play./? 

My first thought, demented a musing as it may be, is whether William's quote was a statement or question./? Furthermore, given additional consideration, should the preceding sentence end with a period or a question mark? I surmise a (? - without the parens), but Grammarly highlights it 'to be' a period. 

And if given a choice, returning to the quote at hand, I would choose To BE, if for no other reason than, how would I complete this piece if I was Not To Be, see?

Besides, outside of a Shakespearean setting, who talks like that anymore? Maybe people in Denmark? Isn't that where (the play) was set?

Anyhow, I awoke this morning, thankful my sleep, unlike my mind, was not disturbed last night by said excerpt from the play, not the guy, before dashing to my keyboard to begin and end this piece, hopeful to keep, you, my fellow Fanstorian entertained... or not, before I forgot what I remember until we 'meet again' or as the French say Au revoir. The End.
 




The photo is of my hands typing in Parisienne font since no choice was given for Scandanavian font. Think it through (Denmark).

I also thought to print it centered-set to create an aire of dementedness like Hamlet's for who else would speak to Yorick's skull bnut someone a bubble off center?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tom Horonzy All rights reserved.
Tom Horonzy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.