General Fiction posted April 27, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The End

The Reunion Chapter 2

by dragonpoet

About a year later, Henry came down with what we assumed was the flu. He was coughing, achy and ran a fever. We assumed we were correct when he seemed to get better in a week. He still coughed, but with only rigorous activity.

Then, six months later he fell ill again. This time much worse. Coughing sounded like he was bringing up half a pond. He was also
was losing weight while still eating normally. When he started coughing up blood we all knew he was not long for this world.

Only a week later he was dead. The funeral was attended well and the guests at the luncheon were respectfully solemn at his young death. The farmers were well aware that none of use girls really know how to keep the fields. So as we wandered through the crowd. we heard several asking among themselves what we were going to do with the fields. That was a good question.

Now that Henry wasn't with us any more, the inheritance wasn't in question any more. It was split between the three of us. During the next couple of weeks. we debated the future of the fields. Since the sheep were bringing in the most money, we decide to keep some of the field to grow grass to graze the sheep. The rest we would sell to the farmer that bordered our farm on that side. With the proceeds we would buy more sheep and tools for the trade.

We asked one of the other sheep farmers to teach us the shear and how to get the wool made into cloth for Aggies seamstress business. Also, we needed a business man to take care of the exporting of the rest.

So, we had become a sheep farm and a nursery on my parent's land. And it was working well. The working together brought us
closer because we were able to share our grief.

During the repurposing of the farm, we also discussed what was to become of the share-croppers cabin where Henry had lived. After
much discussion we decided that I was not going to move in. I liked my privacy and we decided Aggie could redo it as a seamstress
shop since she was becoming quite well-known. It seemed her talents were much missed while we were getting the farm in order.
While studying the books we found her seamstress job would not interrupt the sheep business because there was only a couple of
months the overlapped in the busy times of both. We had enough money now to hire extra outside shearers during this time.

In the next few years as our businesses grew our family did too. We slowly became a close-knit family again.

Yes, I married David and we had three children. Aggie married the son of one of her well-to-do customers and they had four kids,
two of each.

All the children were given well-rounded educations at the schools of their choice. The were also taught the family trades. Two did
decide to become farmers. My son decided to apprentice with Aggie and become almost more well-respected than his aunt. But,
there was only pride from Aggie and the rest of us.

So, out of this rough stretch our family looked with great hope toward a much better future.















For anyone who would like to read the whole story the order is
The Early Years Chapters 1-3
The Downfall Chapters 1-9
The Reunion Chapters 1-2
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. dragonpoet All rights reserved.
dragonpoet has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.