General Poetry posted April 27, 2024


Good
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Earth faces survival

The Final Phase

by Lobber

Earth has barely survived its first six months of darkness, cold and bitter torture.
 
The initial six months of heat, light and humidity seem so far away. Like a prisoner’s first 12 months in jail, the test has been one of survival.
 
The test for the prisoner requires that he be resigned to the repetitive pattern of anxiety. The big difference is that no points will be awarded to Earth for good behavior. Historically there was no good behaviour and none was expected.
 
Sweat, heat and bugs that swarm were replaced by frost and cold, as well as snow and ice that never seemed to melt. Animals hid beneath the crusted surface, living on an instinct of survival where someday warmth will return. Mankind has less optimism. Mankind has seen the earth twirl out of control in its cosmos of chaos. Man has seen such savage variances before. 
 
In 1886 there was The Big Die-Up.  Hundreds of thousands of cattle across the Great Plains of America died. Was this catastrophic event the death of the Old West or an initial death knell for Earth's demise?
 
Today Man looks up in the sky and notices that four stars are missing. . . four stars similar to our Earth’s sun. . . gone for all eternity.
 
Today the scorched and withered scarecrows will need help from Man to create an illusion to scare crows away. Earth’s spin is one of destruction, not resurrection. It is Man’s knowledge of illusion and cosmetology that will bring the fearful look of the scarecrow back to life.
 
Man’s own 70-year life cycle has been reframed and recycled to an ongoing series of 12-month Moon series.
 
As stars vanish from the sky, casting ominous shadows upon the Earth, the specter of uncertainty looms large.
 
Yet, amidst the chaos, there lies a glimmer of hope — a resilience born from the ashes of old norms.
 
And as the world spins on, ever unpredictable, humanity stands united in its determination to defy the odds and carve out a future  — a future worthy of the lost  stars that once adorned the sky.



Free Verse Poetry Contest contest entry


The Final Phase is my final entry in a 19th-month series of over a dozen rhyming and free verse poems about Earth's possible future. My journey has been both alarming and enlightening.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lobber All rights reserved.
Lobber has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.