General Fiction posted April 4, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A baby is due

The New Life

by Wendy Rappeport


Molly Peters was a cleaner at a small modern Psychiatric Hospital called Sutherland House, in one of the suburbs on the south side of Brisbane River. It was physically demanding job, but she didn’t mind, and miraculously it was where she found her love.
Molly was not allowed to chat with the patients, so she did her work energetically and methodically until she went home. Molly lived in a small three bedroom house which she bought with her inheritance after her mother died two years ago.
Her father owned a cattle farm in a little town north of Tamworth in northern NSW. Her brother Tim worked as a butcher in Armidale, he played the guitar in a small band in local pubs and every year he would play in the Tamworth Music Festival and in the past two years he also went up to visit Molly as well. Tim had two children, Edward and Molly who was named after his favourite sister.
In Sutherland House one day she met Cameron, a wealthy businessman. They literally bumped into each other while Molly was doing the vacuuming. ‘Oh I beg your pardon,’ they both uttered at the same time, and they laughed. Molly remembered she must not talk to patients and explained this in a hurried way. That was two years ago, and Molly and Cameron had the good fortune to meet up again in the city about a month after he left Sutherland House. They both happened to be eating at a Chinese restaurant near Cameron’s work. Immediately there was electricity between them. And, as the weeks went by, they shared many happy outings and meals. At Christmas time, Molly introduced Cameron to her father and to her brother Tim. Cameron and Tim became great friends and Tim was the first to know of Molly and Cameron’s engagement. Tim had never seen his sister so happy.
Cameron insisted that Molly didn’t need to work as a cleaner any more, and he found a secretarial position for her at his firm. She loved the job and brought to it her special brand of happiness and laughter. Everyone she met commented on her smiling, friendly manner, and the rest of the staff admired her, and thought Cameron and Molly were a beautiful couple. 
Late that year, Cameron was unlucky enough to have another episode of depression and went back into Sutherland House for treatment.  His boss reassured him that he would always have his job to come back to.
To be a patient of Sutherland House you had to be fairly wealthy and have top private health insurance. Cameron had come into the hospital very depressed and his Psychiatrist, Dr Hardacre, had tried Cameron on several different antidepressants and mood stabilisers and this time he was having a relatively new therapy called rTMS- or repetitive Trans Cranial Magnetic Stimulation. This involves wearing a sort of head band while a patients’ frontal lobe is stimulated by a magnetic field, and is performed daily for four weeks. The result was just as Dr Hardacre had predicted. Towards the end of the treatment Cameron felt like his ‘old self’ again. He started to really look forward to Molly’s visits. 
When he was discharged Molly and Cameron were overjoyed to be together again. Cameron looked forward to going back to work, and Molly filled him in on what had been happening at the firm.
She also had more special news to tell him. She was pregnant. Cameron was absolutely astonished and didn’t know what he felt. On the one hand he was overjoyed that the girl he loved would give him a child of his own, but on the other hand he had always vowed he would never have children, in case they also suffered from depression. Cameron’s own grandfather had hung himself, and Cameron’s father had been very depressed, which had had an awful impression on Cameron as a child.
Molly wouldn’t listen to his fears, and tried to reassure him, and eventually he began to get excited about the expectant baby. It would be such a new life for them both. Molly was very healthy and they were elated to find out on the ultrasound that the baby was a girl.
‘Don’t worry about depression Cameron. That’s only a problem for you men. I bet my baby has inherited my family’s musical talents. If she’s anything like my mother was, or Tim, then she’ll be a wonderful singer or musician’ They drew up a list of baby names, and narrowed it down to three, including the names of both their now-deceased mothers - Teresa, Ellen and Christina.
 Molly was having an easy pregnancy, and she insisted she keep working. She was very healthy and had that special ‘glow’ that envelopes some pregnant women. She and Cameron had been planning to have a small wedding that spring, and decided to go ahead even though Molly’s pregnancy had come as a surprise. Tim and his family came up from Armidale and her father from Tamworth, Cameron’s only relative, his sister Sue lived in the UK and flew to Brisbane to be with them. It was a beautiful spring day and little Molly was the flower-girl, all dressed-up in a gorgeous lemon dress and flowers in her hair. Big Molly was dressed in white, in a shirred brocade dress disguising her pregnant bump. A close friend that Molly had made at work was the bridesmaid, and she also wore lemon, a simple a-line dress with a cinched waist. It was a wonderful day, though quite exhausting for Molly, who was now 30 weeks pregnant.
Next day, unexpectedly, Molly went into labour. They were eating spaghetti bolognaise at home when Molly thought she was having one of those Braxton-Hicks contractions, but suddenly her waters broke and she cried out in tears ‘No, not already, it’s too soon’. Cameron was very confused but Molly kept a cool head. ‘Call an ambulance’, she cried, ‘you can’t drive in that condition’.
So this is what happened in quick succession. An ambulance arrived and Molly was still having contractions, at the hospital the doctor hurried to her side and assessed the situation, and told them they would try and stabilise things with a drug called terbutaline. If this didn’t work, and Molly went ahead into labour, they reassured them that the baby would be small but healthy at this stage of the pregnancy. And just in case they would give Molly steroids to mature the baby’s lungs.
Molly listened carefully, and felt confident this would all go as planned. Cameron clenched his hands and looked terribly anxious.
‘I’m so scared’. he said.
‘Darling everything will be Ok’. Molly said soothingly with a smile.
And she was correct. The labour was halted for three weeks and then their little daughter Teresa Ellen was born, weighing 2.5kg. 
‘What a nice little weight,’ exclaimed one of the midwives, ‘She would have been much bigger if you had gone full term’. ‘Don’t worry’. she added as Teresa let out a big scream- which had the effect on Cameron that he sighed, unclenched his white hands and smiled with relief.
Molly smiled lovingly at the little baby as the nurse placed her carefully on Molly’s breast. 
Molly grabbed Cameron’s hand. ‘She looks just like you- look at her worried little forehead’. And they both laughed.



Rebirth contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy Rappeport All rights reserved.
Wendy Rappeport has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.