Humor Fiction posted March 21, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
King Solomon speaks to his many wives.

Solomon's Garden

by Francie Snell

“Zabud, you appear so troubled this morning as you come before my thrown. Tell me, what causes you such distress?”

“King Solomon, your wives have come today requesting the privilege of your presence!”

“My wives?”

“Yes, my King. The news of your great kindness in bestowing wisdom to any who ask have reached their ears, and now, they ask that they too be allowed time with you.”

“Aah yes, my wives, they are like many beautiful flowers full of splendor. On which matters do they wish to speak?”

“Matters concerning your garden.”

“The garden?”

“Yes, the garden being overseen by your servant Adoniram. Your wives have taken a great interest in the florae that grows there.”

“And what wisdom do they seek.”

“My King, I believe it is not your wisdom they seek, but are here to make requests.”

“Requests? I see. Are ALL my wives here?”

“No, not all, but many wait in the courtyard. I have posted guards to watch over them for they are a raucous mob. Some of them seem inept in proper conduct and I am afraid bedlam will grow without adequate precautions. Should I send them away?”

“Oh Zabud, how wild can they be? They are like delicate pedals that quiver in a gentle breeze…and so lovely to look upon. Do you really believe they pose such a threat? Of how many of my wives do you speak?”

“Hundreds.”

“Hundreds?”

“Yes, my great King. I have failed to obtain an exact count, however, every nation you have chosen from are represented here today: your wives from the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians, and Hittites. I believe we need guards.”

“Oh Zabud, you fret too much about such minor matters. I am willing to meet with them as they please. Let us start with the lovely tribe of Edom. Send them all in so that I may gaze upon their beauty.”

“Yes, my King. I will go and summon your wives.”

“Ahishar, have the guards escort the Edomite wives, along with their interpreter, into King Solomon at once! And make sure they behave.”

“My king, I’m not sure this is a good idea. See how rudely they behave as they enter your court. Silence, this is not suitable for our great King!”

“Oh Zabud, now let us just wait for them to settle down. Look, the one with the brilliant feathers in her hair, she is the one I wish to speak on their behalf. Bring her before me.”

“Come, take my arm, and walk with me. King Solomon beckons you to speak. Now, where is that interpreter? Aah yes, there he is. Come and interpret for King Solomon.”

“Oh yes, I remember you well,” said Solomon. “But what, what is wrong, why do you look so sad? Have I not visited your chamber?”

“No, my lord, it was not I, but my sister. We look very much alike and are difficult to tell apart. She is not here today.”

“Oh… well… what is your request?”

“My King, many of us are homesick and long for the flowering vines of Edom. We beg of you to send someone to our homeland to retrieve some vines – lots of them - along with some soil in which they grow, to plant in your garden.”

“This is an odd request; however, I will grant you your desires. Zabud, see to it this request be fulfilled and these women escorted out.”

“Yes, my Lord. Guard, take these women away.”

“Who’s next?”

“How about the Moabites?”

“Moabites it is….”

“Ok, now that I have finished with the Moabites, bring in the Ammonites.”

“Yes, my King.”

“How many more tribes wait?”

“Two: the Sidonians and Hittites.”

“Okay, but before we go on, I need to take a break.”

“Yes, my King. After you rest, the Sidonians may be a good choice. Hopefully, they won’t be so demanding.

“Okay, now that I have finished with the Sidonians, let us end the day with the Hittites.”

“Zabud, I am relieved that this day is over, for those women have worn me out. I had no idea they could be so wearisome.”

“Yes, my King, and tomorrow presents yet another day full of meetings.”

“With whom?”

“Your many concubines.”




Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry


The First Milestone
This authors first post!
A Milestone Post


Inspired by 1 Kings 11.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Francie Snell All rights reserved.
Francie Snell has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.