Romance Fiction posted March 20, 2024 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Noah's undercover office is hit.

A chapter in the book Willing Hearts

Willing Hearts Chapter 6 B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Can Noah rescue Myra, close down the human trafficking ring, keep Sami safe, all while protecting his heart? Or did the love of his life appear in front of him?
Noah and Sami met 10 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Almost a half an hour later Sami came into the living room, and asked Noah, "Where is everybody?"

"Bob and Sarah are on the porch, getting some alone time. Jose's in the cabin checking security."

"Dinner will be ready in about fifteen minutes."

Noah nodded. "I'll relay the message." He watched her return to the kitchen before he went outside to tell the others about dinner.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 6 B

When Noah returned, he went into the kitchen. "What can I help with?"

Sami had plates in her hand. "Nothing. I have everything under control."

He took them from her. "I know how to set a table. Let me."

She nodded and studied him as he carried them to the dining room. Can I trust him?

*****
As they ate, Bob said, "Sami, this is good. Is there any way you can teach Sarah to cook?"

She smiled. "I can, but only if she wants to."

Jose asked, "Where did you learn to cook?"

"Mom owns The Pear Tree off North 21st Boulevard. Mom taught us all to cook. My four older sisters and one brother-in-law work there."

"What does your dad do?" asked Noah.

"He owns a construction company. The other three brothers-in-law work with him.

Sarah smiled. "You chose teaching instead of the restaurant business."

"I did. My interest centers on coaching and helping teenage girls. I still work there summers and holidays. All of us help." Sami hesitated. "I'm curious why you're asking. You've already done a background check, right Noah?"

"We did, but it's always nice to hear it firsthand. There's always the possibility the facts are misleading."

*****
After dinner, everybody helped clear the table. As Noah brought the last dish into the kitchen, Sami said, "I'm sorry my actions caused you to get shot."

Turning, he walked away and said over his shoulder, "I knew the risks when I took this job."

Sami walked by him, went to her room, and closed the door.

Sarah walked up to Noah and hit his shoulder. "You have the social graces of a gorilla." She sighed. "Sami was attempting to make up. You shut her down." She glanced at the closed door. "Talk with her. Turn down your wrist communicator, unless you want us to hear. I'm going outside."

Bob studied Sarah. "I'm going with her."

"I'm checking security." Jose followed Bob.

I'm attempting to talk with Sami. Noah stood at her door a few moments with hand raised before he knocked. "Sami, can I come in?"

When she opened the door, he said, "I was just told I have the social graces of a gorilla. I don't normally apologize, so I'm not very good at it. It seems around you I apologize often. Can we talk?" She nodded, and he added, "You're under my protection. Technically I'm not supposed to talk with you in your room. Can you come out?" He pointed to her Fitbit. "Please remove that."

She did and shoved it under her mattress.

Noah waited until Sami sat on the couch with Jasper beside her before he sat in the chair across from her. "I knew Chen was angry. I got careless. I knew he'd react. I didn't expect it so soon." He pointed to his left side. "I made an error in judgement. This was my fault."

"If I didn't make him angry, he wouldn't strike out at you."

"The way I see it, there are only two things that could've happened that would've kept Chen from being angry. One, you never tried to figure out what happened to Myra and the rest of the girls."

"I had to try to help them."

"I understand. Number two, if I would've let Chen have you. I couldn't allow that. We've already discussed the ramifications if he took you. Those are the only options." He hesitated. "I'd take getting shot over either of those."

Sami hung her head. "I appreciate that, but..."

"There's not a but," interrupted Noah. "I'm sorry I didn't make that clear before."

Jose rushed inside. "Boss, sorry, but Trey Morgan's, well, your office has been hit. Police are investigating."

"No!" shouted Sami.

Noah's eyes met Sami's. I need to comfort her, but how? He paused and addressed Jose. "It's my undercover office, they won't find anything." He walked around the room, glanced toward Sami. I'll do what I always do, go straight into work mode. Then he stared out a window for a few moments before he spoke to all his agents through his wrist communicator, "I'm sure you've heard my undercover office has been hit. Here's what we're going to do. Nothing. At least not right now. All agents in the field will remain where they are and work as usual.

"The rest of us are going silent. I don't want any agent alone. I want at least two agents together. You decide who you pair with. Once you're set, I don't want any movement. I don't want you outside. No shopping, not anything. I don't want your cars parked in front of your residences. Park them in our impound lot. This should confuse them and cause them to make mistakes."

A few silent moments passed before Noah said, "We'll re-evaluate this Tuesday morning. This is Wednesday, so it's almost a week. Turn off all wrist communicators. If anybody has problems, use the emergency function to contact me. Any questions?"

Nobody said anything, so Noah continued, "Everyone get in position. I'll contact you Tuesday morning. Stay safe."

Jose faced him. "Boss, what about us?"

"We're already secure. Sarah and Bob, I guess you get a vacation with each other. Just be respectful of the rest of us. Jose, keep doing what you're doing." Noah released a deep breath and faced Sami. "I can stay in the cabin with Jose, in the attic, or in the spare bedroom. It's completely up to you. Just let me know where I should stay that'll make you the most comfortable."

"The spare bedroom makes the most sense, since you're injured."

"It doesn't make sense if you're not comfortable. I know I'm not one of your favorite people."

"The spare bedroom is available." She turned and went into her room.

Noah nodded for Sarah to follow.

*****
Sarah knocked and entered. "Sami, Noah's serious. He'll stay wherever you're most relaxed." Sarah studied Sami. "What are you thinking?"

"I've caused so much trouble."

"No, you haven't caused any problems. Chen caused the problems by kidnapping those innocent girls. Your involvement was only to help. You're not to blame for any of this. Noah has devised a plan to keep everybody safe."

A little while later, Bob knocked on the door. "Ladies, us guys think some watermelon would taste pretty good right about now."

Both ladies went into the living room, but Sami avoided eye contact with anyone. "I'll get plates." She headed toward the kitchen.

Noah followed Sami, walked up behind her, and touched her arm. When she stiffened, turned, and glared into his eyes, he said, "I'm sorry. I should've known better. Especially with everything you've been through."

"I'm sorry. I wasn't expecting anybody behind me and touching me."

"More accurately, you weren't expecting me to come up behind you, right?"

She swallowed. "Maybe."

"I wanted to tell you that none of this is your fault. In case that's what you're thinking."

"Thank you." She held out the plates. "I have these. Should we cut the melon in here or on the table?"

Noah studied the melon. "Let's hope it's juicy so I'd say in here for easier clean up."

"Good idea." She set the plates down. "I'll let them know." She left.

*****
Everybody sat around the table after eating and talked for quite a while. Finally, Jose said, "I need to check security videos. I've been inside way too long."

Bob stood. "I'll go with you." He kissed Sarah's cheek. "I won't be long."

"No problem. I'll help with clean up."

Noah stood. "I'm with the guys."

~~~~~
CHARACTERS:

Sami Martinez - Twenty-five-year-old high school teacher, who's working to find a kidnapped teenage girl.

Noah Taylor. - Homeland Security team leader, who works in the Human Trafficking department. Alias - Trey Morgan

Jose, Bob, & Sarah - Agents who work under Noah. Bob and Sarah are married.

Laura Martinez - Sami's mom.

Jasper - Sami's Great Dane, a large breed dog.

Myra Rodriguez - Kidnapped teenage girl who Sami was close to.

Julia - Teenage girl, who was friends with Myra and Sami works with.

Big T - Neighborhood pimp; not a friendly person

Numerous Team Members - They will show up periodically but not really important to the story, except they're there.

Chen - Human trafficker and into some really bad stuff.








Recognized

#17
March
2024


Thank you, Google Images, for a photograph of a watermelon. I couldn't find what I wanted so settled.

Today's post is the second part of Chapter 6. Chapter 6 is a long chapter, so I broke it into two sections. This section is a little over 1200 words. I made some major changes as I posted today. I hope I didn't make it worse. Starting Sunday, I'll post this novel on Sunday's.

I appreciate all of your support and the review. THANK YOU!!!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.