Fantasy Fiction posted March 10, 2024 Chapters: -1- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A faerie and a blizzard

A chapter in the book Play the Piper

Winter Blues

by w.j.debi


Jasmine’s tiny faerie wings buzzed as she strained head-first into the winter squall. Progress had come in fits and starts, but a few minutes more should find her safely inside Castle Welf. Suddenly, she was tumbling out of control. She instinctively tucked her wings and invoked a faerie bubble for protection. As if swirling snowflakes and unpredictable gusts weren't disorienting enough, a passing funnel whirlwind had grabbed her. Now where was she going to end up?
 
Seconds later, the whirlwind slammed against a large tree and dissipated, releasing the faerie bubble to ping-pong between several trees before it dissolved. Dazed but grateful, Jasmine found herself near a large oak. To steady herself, she clung to the rough bark of its trunk, beating her wings just enough to stay aloft.
 
“Breathe,” she reminded herself. Jasmine scowled at the snowflakes swirling around her. “Weather in the human realm is certainly…interesting.” 
 
The next hour was spent sheltering against the downwind side of that same oak. Jasmine sat on a limb with her legs and arms crossed, her top leg bouncing up and down. Eye rolling was accompanied by the impatient tapping of her fingers on her arm. Waiting inside a protective faerie bubble was warm but restrictive. “Will this storm ever stop?”
 
As if in response, there was a momentary break in the wind. She sneaked a glance around the tree trunk. 
 
On a windless day, she could make the flight from the edge of the forest, past the graveyard, and over the city’s four-story-high walls in mere seconds. With these gales, however, she might be blown to the next kingdom before she flew three feet. Besides, the swirling snow and gloom of night made it difficult to see the city walls from here. A human wouldn’t stand a chance in this storm.
 
Jasmine let out a deep sigh. “I will have some great stories to tell if I ever get back to the Faerie Realm.”
 
A moment later, the wind abated. Was it pausing to take a deep breath before beginning the next round of gales, or had the storm finally blown itself out?
 
“It’s now or never.” Jasmine dissolved her bubble and darted for the city, dodging snowflakes as she went. 
 
She zipped from tree to tree so she would have shelter in case the wind should suddenly commence again. Pausing at the final tree between her and the wall, Jasmine calculated the risk of crossing the clearing. “Almost there.” 
 
One deep breath and she was off. A tiny trail of shimmering faerie dust zig-zagged its glitter among the falling snowflakes.
 
***
 
Piper pulled the shutter open far enough to lean out the window. “I think I see her. It’s hard to tell with all the falling snow but I could swear I see a faerie trail.”
 
The flute at his side chirped. Jasmine can take care of herself. 
 
“I know, but I still worry. It’s getting late.” He eased back into the room, took one last look, “Maybe it was my imagination,” then started to close the shutter.
 
Jasmine zipped through the narrowing gap and flew several feet into the room. She turned to scold Piper. “What are you doing? Didn’t you see me coming?”
 
Piper huffed, partly from relief but mostly to cover the grin he was trying to hide. Even when she was shouting, Jasmine’s diminutive voice sounded like the tinkling of tiny bells. It was hard to take her complaining seriously when it sounded so delightful. Besides, the storm wasn’t his fault. “You’re welcome. Between you and the wolf, I don’t know who is more difficult to please.”
 
“Sheba is not a wolf.”
 
“I know; she reminds me often.” Then he added in a teasing tone, “But she looks like one.” 
 
Jasmine rolled her eyes. 
 
Piper closed the shutters, put up the extra panel to keep out the cold, and pulled the heavy velvet curtains together. He paused to listen for any sound that would indicate someone was approaching, holding his breath so he wouldn’t miss any noise in the corridor. “Are you certain we can’t tell Master Braun about you and Peck? After all, he does know about the Faerie Realm. He would accept having a couple of Faeries around. He might even welcome it.”
 
“No. It’s better to limit who knows about our presence. Just you and some select Faerie Folk. No humans. I don’t trust them, no matter how friendly they are.”
 
Piper shrugged. “What did Sheba have to say?”
 
“She said it was obvious that the two of you couldn’t meet tonight due to the weather.”
 
“Sounds like you didn’t need to fly out to the cold, dark forest to check after all.”
 
“Perhaps, not. But it was a nice break to get out of these gray walls.”
 
“So, you enjoyed flying around in the storm.”
 
Jasmine ignored the comment and darted from place to place around the music room.
 
Piper watched with growing amusement. "Looking for something?"
 
She zipped over to hover in front of him. “Where’s Peck?”
 
“He went on patrol. Said he was bored.”
 
“Well, you have to admit, there is more to do in the Faerie Realm, but he shouldn’t leave you alone.”
 
“I have managed my whole life without bodyguards.”
 
Jasmine scowled at him, then flew to her perch on a high shelf above the musical instruments. “We’re not bodyguards. We are guardians. There is a difference.”
 
Piper put a hand to his face to hide his grin. “Of course.” 
 
He stoked the fire, then went back to his desk to resume copying music. “Thankfully, I was alone in the practice room. The apprentices would have wondered why I kept going to the window, and Master Braun would have scolded me for opening the shutters during a storm and letting the warm air out. When he feels how cold it is in here, he may still do that.”
 
Several minutes later, Piper set down his quill, glancing toward the chamber door. “Someone’s coming.”
 
“Master Braun,” Jasmine said. “Can’t you tell by the rhythm of his footfalls?”
 
Piper was saved from answering when Master Braun burst in and started across the room.
 
“Good evening, Master Braun.”
 
The music master paused to look around the room. “Oh, hello, Piper. Are you the only one here?”
 
“Yes. Due to the cold weather, we thought it best to retire to our rooms to conserve fuel. I stayed behind to let you know where everyone was.”
 
“Good choice.” Braun grinned. “Did you have a question, Piper?”
 
“Well, yes.” He took a breath. “Any word about when we might travel?”
 
“Just the question I expected. I know you are eager to be on your way, but Grand Master Kort says he won’t make any decisions about the traveling troupes until the weather improves.”
 
Piper frowned. “I understand.”
 
“But,” Braun continued, “I am glad you are here. I have an assignment for you.”
 
Piper’s face brightened. “Oh?”
 
“Lady Eloise wants a special musical number created for her father’s birthday. She has requested that you compose it. You will meet with her tomorrow evening to go over the specifics. I understand that she is hoping to play it as a duet with you.”
 
“Me?” Piper felt the color drain from his face. “But, wouldn’t it be more proper for one of the masters or at least a troubadour to work with her? I’m only an apprentice and we’re so near the same age.”
 
“Don’t worry.” Braun winked. “We all know Lady Eloise is sweet on you, but this request comes directly from Eloise’s mother. Duchess Welf went straight to Grand Master Kort with the idea. How could we refuse? Besides, you’ll have chaperones.”
 
Braun turned to go into his private chambers at the back of the music room. “See you tomorrow, Piper. You should retire soon. Make sure you bank the fire.”
 
“Yes, sir. Good night.”
 
Piper stood in the middle of the room for several minutes, lost in thought. He finally walked to the window, pulled open the curtains, took down the panel, and opened the shutters to look out at the storm. He took a deep breath of cold air, exhaling slowly. 
 
Winter moonlight had broken through the clouds. It glistened on the snowdrifts and made the snowflakes sparkle as they drifted downward. It was beautiful but so confining. In the distance, Piper could just make out the shadowy images of the forest that bordered the city. 
 
Piper pulled the flute from its case and placed it to his lips. Soon, a tune floated into the night, a melody full of yearning for lands far, far away.
 
 
 
~~~~~~~~
 



Recognized


A special thanks to Cindy Sue Truman of FanArtReview for the use of her artwork "Ice Snowflake Fairy"

Characters
Piper--Music prodigy and apprentice at Castle Welf; raised as a human; has lived at Castle Welf most of his life; recently discovered he is half-Fae and half-Elven; age 15

Piper's flute--an enchanted instrument that can communicate telepathically or by musical means with Piper

Jasmine and Peck--Faeries that have come to the human realm to watch over Piper and his flute

Sheba--an enchanted creature in wolf form

Master Braun--Music master at Castle Welf; Piper is his head apprentice

Lady Eloise Welf--daughter of Duke and Duchess Welf; age 14

Duke and Duchess Welf--rulers of Castle Welf and its adjoining territory
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Cindy Sue Truman at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. w.j.debi All rights reserved.
w.j.debi has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.