General Poetry posted February 1, 2024 Chapters:  ...262 263 -264- 265... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Terza Rima

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

Wings on a Prayer

by Treischel

 
What am I, but an insect born,
alight upon a shaft of wheat,
alone, adrift, and too -forlorn?


Find that conclusion incomplete!
Nay, you’ll not see a care from me. 
To damselfly life’s very sweet.


I flit about, as you can see.
I flash my turquoise color scheme
to find a mate just right for me.


I take a stance, my colors gleam.
At once I’m ready to take flight
alert, as circumstances  deem.


I’m very fast, both day and night,
in ways to catch mosquito lunch.
I’ll zig and zag, both left and right.


I’m versatile. I have a hunch,
one hundred fifty million years
I have survived, and that’s a bunch.


Polluted waters cause my fears.
I pray you humans keep them clean,
to keep our mutual futures clear.




Damselflies are similar to dragonflies, but smaller and slimmer. They only have two wings that they usually fold behind their backs, while a dragonfly has four that spread out to their side. Both eat small insects like aphids, gnats, and mosquitoes, which they usually catch midair. Their presence indicates a clean healthy water system. People get afraid of them because they believe that they sting, but they don�¢??t. They are no more dangerous than a butterfly. When damselflies mate it is usually face-to-face and head-to-head. The female curls her tail under to meet his and they often fly together. It typically forms a heart shape. This insect has survived since the age of the dinosaurs. Fossils have been found dating back one hundred fifty three million years ago. Source: Wikipedia.
This poem is a Terza Rima, which is a form with Tercets (three line stanzas) that interlock their rhyme scheme. It is an Italian format that was first used by the Italian poet Dante Alighieri. The end-word of the second (middle) line in one tercet supplies the rhyme for the first and third lines in the following tercet. The literal translation of terza rima from Italian is "third rhyme". It follows a very specific rhyme scheme that follows the rhyming pattern of ABA BCB CDC DED, and so on, for as many stanzas as desired. Aside from this pattern, there are no other elements that define a terza rima poem. Poets do not need to use a specific metrical pattern, use a certain number of lines, or stanzas.
This is my photograph.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.