Spiritual Poetry posted July 12, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
seek out God's gifts

Finding Joy

by mermaids

Mass Shootings, inflation, severe weather and many other issues are in the fore front of news today. It is easy to become overwhelmed and depressed by what we hear. It appears that humans have had severe issues since we were banned from the Garden of Eden. When one reads the Bible, wars, conflicts and many other problems are discussed. I often wonder how  the people of the Bible felt. How did they cope with the harshness often present in life. I believe God provides for us simple ways to deal with constant bad news.

An excellent coping skill I believe, is finding joy in every day life. It is those little moments of
happiness that enhance our existence. If we are open to finding joy, it will come to us. We often forget to include God and thank Him for the happy moments in our lives.
 
Here are three examples of how I find happy moments in my life that take me away from the
harshness and negativity of the world.
 
I sing hymns to my three guinea pigs from time to time. They are beginning to look up at me and appear to be listening. It is fun and I enjoy watching their reaction. Sometimes I pick them up and put them on my shoulder and sing to them. They do not seem to mind that I cannot carry a tune.
 
I work the day shift in a nursing home and am required to work every other weekend. The friend I sit with in church on my sundays off is eighty-two years old. She is very active with online dating and I look forward to her dating stories. She is a beautiful woman and has many suitors. Her recounting of her dates makes me smile and often laugh. I do pay attention to the sermon and do pray. We chat before and after the service.
 
A third way I find those happy moments is of course nature. I have a chunky chipmunk in my yard that I enjoy watching scurry about and devour fallen bird seed from my feeders. I named him Chip, Yes, Chip the chipmunk. It wasn't too challenging coming up with this name. Nature is God's sanctuary and when we experience it, we leave behind our world. 
 
We do not have to be down about our world because God does provide for us, a respite from
what we hear on the news everyday.
 
All of us are different. Think about the various small joys God has placed in your life. My joys may be singing to guinea pigs, listening to dating tales from my eighty-two year old friend and observing Chip the chipmunk. God has different joys for each of us. Look, listen and seek.
 
 
 
 
 
 




My favorite book in the Bible are the Psalms. They describe all of our emotions and feelings which have been present throughout the ages.

Psalm 16:11 You have made known to me the path of life, you will fill me with joy in your presence,with eternal pleasures at your right hand. I thought I would post this again. It is a great idea to seek out joy in a new year.

Club entry for the "Coping in this World Today" event in "God in Your Life".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. mermaids All rights reserved.
mermaids has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.