Romance Fiction posted March 29, 2023 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A friends advice lifts her spirit.

A chapter in the book DARK NIGHT AND DARK DAY

DARK NIGHT & Day, Chapter 7

by Alaskastory



Background
n winter Marjorie arrives in Alaska to escape getting married and begin new medical job. Meets handsome man, Roger, who introduces friends. She tells Julie about her previous fianc�?�© who is gay.
A thick forest of spruce trees covered in pure white snow surrounded a home built with logs. As Julie drove the pickup into a widely plowed driveway, bearded Leo appeared coming from a colony of dog houses. A strong arm waved a welcome, then a gloved finger pointed to the front door.

Marjorie raised her voice, "I'm not going in until you show me all those dog houses."

He gave a broad grin. "Okay. Come on."

Julie called out, "I'll get the soup to boil."

Plodding in high-traction boots along a snow-packed trail, Marjorie thought how her mother would be shocked seeing her dressed like this at church in Culver City. Now in cold winter clothes she was stepping behind a new friend in a new world. Dogs were greeting them in high volume barks.

Each dog was leashed next to one of the small dog houses. When Leo's commanding hands raised, excited barks tuned down. Each gave full attention to their boss. Leo walked directly in front of Marjorie to keep dogs from jumping at her. He spouted their names one after another. Each dog responded to his command, silently sitting at attention. Marjorie could not resist putting gloved fingers onto heavily fur-coated huskies. She petted one dog after another.

"Leo, do I count eighteen dogs and that many houses?"

"Little more than that. Older dogs have theirs too."

"Having so many is quite a job. You amaze me."

Leo mentioned the upcoming race and pointed out two dogs who would lead and another to take up the end position. He stopped giving details when he noticed Marjorie shiver. "Come on, Julie's waiting for us."

Indoors there were puppies. A playful pup avoided Leo's attempt to get all half-dozen off to their warm bedroom. The puppy scurried into Marjorie's outstretched arms.

With a laugh, she hugged the soft cuddly pup. "Sweet Cutie, you have to go off to bed too." She handed the pup to Leo.

"He's the most lively one," Julie said, then pointed a swirling hand around the room. "As you can see, our dining and living rooms are in the open together."

"I'm impressed with both how large it is, and how cozy in beautiful decorations." Marjorie moved to a shelf lined with exquisite native art pieces. "These birchbark items are so well done. So is this woven basket. Such fine native art."

During lunch, art hangings on the wall and shelves were discussed. But that subject ended when Leo listed details for an up-coming dog sled race.

Leo's dark eyes widened when he glanced at the wall clock. "Almost two. Time is slipping away. Rog and I are working on dog sled runners. A little filing needed on them. He'll be here any time now."

"Roger Hendricks is coming here?" Marjorie instantly stared at Julie who appeared to hide a grin with fingers brushing past her lips and soft brown eyes.

Leo jumped to his feet. "Yes, and I better get the puppy's settled in for naps. We use cages for that." He promptly left Marjorie and Julie at the table.

"I know, I should have told you. But don't worry, Marj. I'll drive you home as soon as the dishes are cleaned up."

"Oh, that's fine. It has been great fun to see all those dogs and your lovely home. There was no reason for you to tell me Roger might come here."

"Yes, but he is the most attractive man I know in this town. A fine man in so many ways. And he's your friend, right?"

"Julie, you know I plan to stay clear of men for at least a year." She squeezed Julie's hand. "You are the best. Never can I thank you enough for suggesting I write to Henry. Now I feel a lot better about the break-up."

Before Julie could respond, Leo came back into the room with a look of panic. "One of those little guys are missing," he exclaimed.

"Puppy missing?" both women asked.

"He must have slipped out of the house," Julie said. "Remember when ten of them ran out in the dark last fall?"

Leo grabbed his coat off a hook near the door. "Yeah, but now it's winter out there. Don't want him lost all night."

"I'm going out with you," Marjorie said as he went out the door. She slipped into her coat and back into boots.

Julie handed her a small flashlight. "Be careful, Marj. The sun is setting already. Be dark soon."

Leo could be seen under shading trees on his way toward the big dogs. Marjorie pointed her arm to let him know she would walk around the building. Stomping in track-free snow she moved slowly while eyeing for any marks. Beyond the rear of the house, she spied a few dents in snow that were perfect for a squirrel or tiny pup. It didn't really look like tracks. More like smashed snow that flowed down a steep side near the garage. Visualizing an object rolling down toward the driveway, she followed, inching with a downward step. It was steep and it was slippery. Suddenly, her feet took her into a tumble. Instantly she rolled down onto the driveway.

Vehicle lights beamed on her roll to the bottom. Sudden brakes squeaked loud and puppy barking filled the air. A truck door banged shut and the driver grabbed hold of a puppy.

"Hey, what's going on? Wait, is that you, Marj?"

Sprawled in deep snow, she tried to raise up but couldn't, nor could she control herself. Laughing overtook her.

Roger laughed too. He handed the puppy down to her before wrapping strong arms around a fully snow-covered woman.




CHARACTER LIST
Marjorie Lange, doctor with Native Corp, in AK to avoid past boyfriend
Roger Hendricks, engineer at oil pipeline job, helps with ice sculptures
James Lange, her brother in Airforce at Ft. Greeley
Leo Granger, Dogsled racer and keeper of 40 dogs
Julie Granger, Ice sculpture artist
Maryann Lange, her mother and retired teacher
Kenneth Lange, her father and military retiree
Henry Wilburn, an ex-fiance
Eddie Frank, a long-time friend
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.