Mystery and Crime Fiction posted October 4, 2020 Chapters:  ...3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The detectives find the cover up is deeper than they thought

A chapter in the book Where Are All The Children

Finding the Truth

by Mistydawn


Summary
A vigilante is exposing sexual predators for who they are. The detectives are investigating the alleged allegations.
 

Toni and Jamal pull up to a residential area on the outskirts of Atlanta. Cresswind Peachtree City is one of the nicer retirement areas with its exquisite houses and appealing amenities. Mr. Hensley's secretary, Agnes Barns, lives in a brown brick and wood, English- structure. It's one of several styles in the gated community.

Climbing out of the car, the detectives walk across the lawn. Toni first smells the aroma of freshly cut grass lingering in the warm afternoon air. She then notices a worker taking a break a few houses down. He pulls off his shirt showcasing his brawny, bronze body. He can do my lawn anytime. She sighs, enjoying the sensual eye candy. He looks over and winks. Toni's face flushes, her heart skips a beat. Embarrassed she was caught gawking, she turns away.


Stepping onto the porch, Jamal rings the bell. Beethoven's Fur Elise sounds through the house. He turns towards his partner and says, "Even the doorbell is fancy."

"What do you expect in a place like this." Everything is so elegantly done that it looks more like a resort than a housing development. She glances at the worker again. I bet you've melted many girls' hearts. 


A clean, floral scent wafts through the air when the door opens. They turn to find a lady in the entryway. She's wearing an elegant light-pink evening gown. The dress accentuates her attractive body in all the right places. Her gray hair is done in a pixie with the bangs feathered to the left. Her makeup is minimal, but appears to be professionally done. She sure left her meager life and everything with it behind, Toni thinks. Ms. Barnes was living in a low-income housing complex a few short years ago.

"May I help you?"


"My name is Detective Moore, and this is my partner, Detective Robbins." They flash their badges. "We'd like to ask you a few questions about a former employer, Mr. Hensley."

"I do hope this won't take long. I have a dinner date I need to get back to." She glances into the adjacent room. A scorned look crosses her face when she turns towards them.

Jamal takes a handkerchief from his pocket and blows his nose. "Do you mind if we come in? My allergies are really acting up." He wipes his snout again.


"Yes, I mind, now what is this about?" Stepping out on the porch, she closes the door behind her. She then scans the area for any busybodies lurking nearby.

"We're investigating the allegations your boss had against him."

"Oh, for heaven's sake that was years ago. Besides, he was acquitted of all charges."

Jamal clears his throat. "Yes, ma'am, but something pertaining to this matter has come up and we need to investigate again. Did you see anything suspicious?"


"I'll tell you what I told the detectives back then. Young boys visited his office quite frequently because he was a soccer and football coach. The boys were always in pairs and they never stayed long. Certainly not long enough for a sexual encounter. Now if you don't mind, I need to get back before everything gets cold." Turning she opens the door and steps inside.

Toni glances at her partner a perplexed expression crosses her face.

"What?"


"How can she afford such a fancy place? And did you notice all her jewelry? Her pinkie ring probably cost her more than what we make in a year."

"Maybe she married into money."

"Or she was paid off."


***

Kevin pulls up to a three-story apartment building on McAfee street. The complex is shaded by so many trees that it's hard to spot it from the road. After a couple of tours around the block, he finds the one he's searching for. It, like the neighboring structures is a red brick colonial with bleach-white trim, a common style for this side of Atlanta.

He sees several school-aged children playing in the yard when he climbs out of his car. They watch intently as he continues towards them. A younger child runs inside in tears. Kevin shakes his head. That poor kid must be having one hell of a life. Stopping in front of the group he asks, "One of you wouldn't happen to be David Phillips, would you?"


A chubby, freckled-faced boy steps in front of the others. You could tell he was the resident bully by the way he carried himself and by the way he stood. "Who wants to know?"

My name is Kevin Burke, and I'm with the local PD." He shows them his badge.

The tyrant shoves his clinched fits against his hips. He stomps his foot in the dirt and growls, "What did the pipsqueak do now?"

Kevin tries to contain a chuckle. I imagine your dad has said the same about you. "He hasn't done anything wrong. I just want to ask him about one of his teachers."


A short scrawny kid makes his way through the group. "I... I'm David." He pushes his glasses up on his pale, baby face. Unlike the others, he appears to be rather frail, sickly.

"Why don't we go over to the bench where we can talk."

David turns towards his friends.

The leader says, "Don't worry, short-shit, I've got your back." He then gives Kevin a warning glare.


Gulping back his fear, the young lad heads across the yard. Reaching their destination, David asks, "Who... Who's this about?"

"Your piano teacher, Mr. Brock."

Lowering his head the boy mumbles, "He's not my teacher anymore."

Kevin takes out his notebook. "What happened?"


Shrugging he solemnly says, "I decided piano isn't for me." He glances towards the group and then the ground.

Kevin waits a few minutes hoping he'd elaborate when he doesn't the detective asks, "It wouldn't have anything to do with what he did, would it?"

"What do you mean?"


"Did he do something to make you feel uncomfortable like putting his hands where they don't belong?"

A shocked look crosses his face. "Mr. Brock would never do that."

"Did he ever take naked pictures of you?"

"No, never. Mr. Brock isn't gay."


"Then why did you quit?"

Tears swell in his sad hazel eyes. He points to the kids and says. "I didn't want to, alright, but they were calling me sissy and a lot of other names." Tears spill from his eyes. Wiping them away he runs inside.

That didn't go the way I'd hoped. Kevin is heading across the lawn when he feels a tug on his jacket. He turns to find a short, thin child beside him. She couldn't be more than five or six. Her dishwater blonde hair is done up in pigtails. Her nineties styled faded denim dress highlights the numerous freckles scattered across her face. "Can I help you?"


"Mr. Brock is my piano teacher too. He's never touched me, but my cousin claims he did her. No one believes her though because she lies so much."

"Do you think she's telling the truth?"

She shrugs. "I don't know, maybe. All I know for sure is that he's never done anything to me or my friends."

"Do you mind if I talk to her?"


"You can if you want, her name is Penny." The girl points down the road. "She lives two houses down."

Kevin sees apartment complexes on either side of the street. "Can you be more specific?"

Getting on her bike she says, "I'll show you."

Kevin's cell phone rings as he climbs into the car. Putting it on speaker, he tosses it beside him. "Detective Burke."


"Kevin, it's Toni, you need to get over to Druid Hills right away."

"Why, what's going on?"

"Mr. Washington, our former judge has found himself in a sticky situation."





Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Characters
Jamal Robbins, Detective with Atlanta PD.
Toni Moore, Detective with Atlanta PD.
Agnas Barns, former employee of Mr. Hensley.
Mr. Hensley, suspected of child trafficking, child porn.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.