Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 30, 2020 Chapters: -Prologue- 1... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anna tries to escape a horrid fate.

A chapter in the book Where Are All The Children

Run, Child Run

by Mistydawn


Whispers echo through the auditorium waiting for the program to begin.  The overhead lights dim. The crowd grows quiet. A petite woman walks to the center of the stage. She's wearing an off-white silk blouse and maroon slacks. Her long, black hair is pulled into a bun at the nape of her neck highlighting her round olive face, and hazel eyes. She takes the microphone from the stand and says, "300, 000 children are trafficked each year and I was one of them. Through the grace of God and a lot of support,  I was one of the lucky few who survived." A picture of her pops up on the screen beside her. "This picture was taken a  few weeks before my abduction. I'd just turned twelve." A sorrowful look crosses her face.  Gazing off into the distance she begins again."I remember the horrid night like it was only yesterday." 

Heavy rain clouds cover the glow of the full moon's light casting a gray haze across the starless skies. The smell of spring flowers drifts through the cool gentle breeze. Night creatures' cries echo around me warning me of the dangers lurking nearby.

I race through the jungle hoping to escape the clutches of the mean man. My legs ache, my chest burns, and my throat is painfully dry. My twelve-year-old heart is beating so hard that it feels like it's going to pound right out of my chest. I know what'll happen if they catch me. What's already happened to so many in our town. It's their grim demise that forces me on.

I reach the clearing to find the streets are completely deserted. A common site since the criminals have moved into our town.


I look to my right and discover the few reaming buildings are nothing more than charred frames held up by a few rusty nails. Charcoaled debris is scattered around the center. The result of a thirty-six-year war Guatemala may never recover from.

The smell of ash and other burnt materials lays heavy in the thick humid air. Gagging on the stench I race through the shadows.

I notice the old Catholic church at the end of the road. It's always been a safe haven for me. The place I go when things get heated at home or when the last scrap of food is gone. With a quick-tempered father drinking up the family funds this is often the case. Thinking that no one would search for me in there I dart towards it.

Stumbling up the crumbled remains that once was a beautiful grand staircase I throw the sliver of a door open. The rusty hinge squeaks in protest. The charred wood topples sideways, causing it to hang by a single bolt.


A light suddenly brightens the dark, barren streets. I discover an unfamiliar car coming up behind me when I turn around. I race inside to find layers of ash on either side of the aisle where the pews had once been. I glance towards the front and see the altar and the podium are mere piles of rubbish. The statue of Mother Mary and Baby Jesus that had stood in the far corner is now melted into a large metal heap. A portion of the roof has fallen overtop.

My last bit of strength drains from my body bringing me to my knees. Help me, Lord, please help me, I sob, hoping he'll give me the strength and courage I need to escape these horrid men.

The memory of how my parents handed me over flashes through my mind. Mommy didn't shed a single tear and Pappy acted like he was happy to see me go. What did I do to make you hate me so much? What Mommy and Pappy, what?


I then recall Pappy saying he might have to pay someone to take me off his hands and that he wished the good Lord had taken me and not my fraternal twin. I was often blamed for her death, even though it was her weak heart that caused her demise. My parent's sorrow is what keeps me living in her shadow, in the thought of what might've been.

So many times, I wanted to fall to my knees and say, please Mommy and Pappy, please love me, your living child. Please find it in your hearts to love me half as much as you do my twin. I didn't dare mutter my thoughts, not with Pappy's quick temper and his heavy hand.

Pappy's last words to me
echo in my head. My devastation is so strong that I feel like my heart is being ripped right out of my chest. I'm sorry I'm so ugly, that I'm not the one you want. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I bawl.

A bright light shines through the eerie shadows. Turning I see a fancy car pulling up to the curb. A car door slams. The men shuffle up the walk. I dart down the aisle hoping to find a safe place to hide. A flock of birds takes flight, slipping through the large gap in the ceiling. Frightened little night creatures scurry around my feet.


The two stop at the bottom step. One man says something to another and laughs. Their cackles send shivers down my spine. Realizing there's no place to hide, I race towards the exit. Ash whirls all around me when I run. My eyes begin to water and my nose itches. Pulling my shirt collar around my face, I fight with everything I have to contain a sneeze.

Their heavy footsteps
echo through the building.

I glance over my shoulder to find the two men stomping down the aisle. My foot catches on some rubbish sending me to the floor. I look back and see the men running my way. I cough and sneeze as I scamper to my feet. I try to take a step and fall again.

One of the men grabs a handful of my hair and pulls me to my feet.

Help me, please, somebody help me, I scream. I feel my long, chocolate-brown braid being ripped from my scalp when I fight to
get away.

The man shoves a cloth against my face as he pulls me against him.


My frail body thuds against his muscular frame. I squirm around hoping to break free. His large hairy fingers clamp tighter across my face.

My head feels woozy, my surroundings spin. I hear the two talking, but their voices seem to be miles away. A terrifying thought pops into my head right before I pass out. What happened to the others is about to happen to me.

Tears slide down my ash-covered face. Why couldn't you ever love me Mommy and Pappy, why? Why did things have to end this way?



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.