Satire Fiction posted July 21, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Message in a bottle (250 words)

Washed Up

by LisaMay


Strolling along the beach, I saw it glinting in the sun, a bottle with a message inside.

There’s been a lot of weird stuff washed up on this Florida beach recently, so I often come down from my shabby home on Sugarloaf Mountain, when it’s safe to, and scavenge for items I can trade.

The coastline keeps changing, losing more of what we knew. The tsunamis and hurricanes happen frequently now, and with the pandemic years stretching on and on, there are desperate people around. I keep to myself, barricaded in. I’m glad I’ve got a gun and some farming experience. We have to protect the little we’ve got. Our clan learned pretty darn fast that money is useless if there’s no food.

Money! Huh! What an old-fashioned concept. No one around here has jobs any more. Law and order is an old-fashioned notion, too. Old-timers like me can remember, though.

Finding that bottle gave me the chance to rest my weary bones. Now to see what’s on the note. The lid was crusted tight, but I eventually got it unscrewed.

The message was written boldly in black marker pen.

Bye Bye sukkers. I’m off to Noo Zeeland. 

It was dated 4th November, 2020, and signed D.J.T.

I cast my mind back two decades.
Well, dang! So that’s where he disappeared to. 

As someone with the antiquated ability of accurate spelling, I amused myself with thinking it seemed entirely appropriate that the note was in an empty 'Jack Denial' bottle.



Message in a bottle writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story, Flash Fiction 250 words, beginning : 'Strolling along the beach, I saw it glinting in the sun, a bottle with a message inside.' Continue the story. Write a title.


Author's Note:
For those readers who think it's a typo I've miss-spelled the name Jack Daniel to "Denial", it has been done on purpose. Duh! I drink enough of the stuff to know how to spell Jack Daniel's properly. This is an attempt at satirical humour. D.J.T. is in denial about many things: climate change, scientific facts, the gravity of the pandemic, his lack of ability as a leader... etc.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.