Humor Non-Fiction posted May 28, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Don't make 'em; can't break 'em

Unresolved

by Elizabeth Emerald


Back in the pre-mega-mall era, every end-of-summer--our feet having grown half an inch and our height half a foot in the interim--my mother would take my sister and me to the "Shopping Center." We'd super-size our shoes at Thom McAn and down-size our hem lines at Gimbels. My mother--inching ever sideways rather than upward or feet-wise--shopped at Lane Bryant, where she could feel slender next to the "plusser--sized" ladies.

I well remember my mother's warning whenever we'd pass through the crockery section in the housewares aisle at Gimbels: Don't touch anything. She'd point to the ominous red-lettered sign: You break it, you buy it.

Every year of the 50-something since that first instance of intimidation, I'm reminded of this sign--albeit not at the end of August, but at the start of January. I vividly envision its scarlet-lettered decree, with a twist to make it pertinent to New Year's resolutions: You make it, you break it.

Just as I avoided "bullishness" back in the china shop days, these years I avoid bullishness in its sense of having the hubris to declare grand resolutions that I will clearly keep only for part of the day I declare them.

There is but one resolution I ever made that I've managed to keep, and that is: I resolve to make no others. A hard one to break--indeed, it's entirely fool-proof.

So, stay--or get--smart. Take a tip from this fool and make this item the number one--of one--on your own resolutions list. Guaranteed: you'll have a happier--or at least, a less "promising"--New Year.



Recognized


Thanks to MoonWillow for artwork: Another year Older
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.