Biographical Non-Fiction posted June 3, 2018 Chapters: Prologue 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Geoff's Ramblings Number 2

A chapter in the book Geoff's Ramblings

More Trials and Tribulations

by Sankey




Background
It makes my treatment so important as the surgeons have said the same (Spread of SCC) could have happened to me if left untreated.
My new Endocrinologist requested I have a Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy. You see I had recently been taking Iron tablets for an apparent deficiency in same, Prof Hobart's offsider (one of her students I guess) had suggested this treatment seeing the low readings in recent blood tests.

It appears unbeknownst to me the prof suspected an underlying reason for the low Iron in my system. However, her suspicions were not shared with me. I guess she did not want to cause me unnecessary alarm. Besides this, it was up to the new Gastroenterologist, Dr Green to make the decision after the procedure, which he did, later.

I was so pleased to meet Dr Green. He was a refreshing change from my former Gastro, Dr Elmer who, thankfully has retired. Maybe a story on Dr Elmer later.

As we have mentioned in other places, there was the necessary Pre-Admission Clinic, which Louise accompanied me to, in the wheelchair taxi also written about elsewhere. Once again the co-opting of a dear friend from church to later take me for that usual VERY EARLY in the morning Admission.

What would we do without friends, especially in our peculiar/particular situation, where neither of us drives anymore. There you go for all of you that read my book and wondered what the follow up might be, to my loss of License.

Louise could still drive, it is just she cannot get in or out of our car anymore. As an aside: does anyone in America want a reasonable condition pre-loved Mitsubishi Magna Solara Station Wagon, 17 years old but with less than 130,000kms on it...Right Hand Drive of course? I guess you need your own ship to transport it, never mind conversion to left-hand drive, hehe. The bonus is, Hand controls included for Disabled drivers.

OK, back to the story, Geoff.

The operation proceeded without any problems. a month or two later the diagnosis was as they all suspected but never even hinted...Coeliac Disease.

This would necessitate me going on a "Gluten-Free" diet which mainly means cutting out wheat and all wheat derivatives. Even stuff like ice cream that they use wheat in manufacture. Not only having to forsake all my favourite, yummy foods, there has to be the big throw out and give away of all these goodies and replace them with enormously costly Gluten-Free products.

I already knew of Coeliac Disease as my father-in-law, my sister's daughter and at least one Great Niece has the disease. Back in 2011, we had a gathering for my 60th birthday and Louise's 51st. Seeing we knew then several of the guests were Coeliac sufferers we were able to arrange for our entire party at the Chinese restaurant to receive "Gluten-Free" Menus. None of the other non-Coeliac guests except for me and Louise and my sister were aware of what we had done. There were no complaints about the food from anyone.

Coeliac Disease is a result of what wheat does to the small intestine. It makes it so our digestion does not absorb nutrients our body so strongly needs. I will post a link to more on this disease, below.

An old friend whose ex-wife is also a Coeliac sufferer said some time ago...."Gluten -Free"...means "Taste Free" too. At the information session, we attended just yesterday (Saturday Down Under) at Coeliac NSW Office, we were assured that the old friend's saying is no longer true. Thank God for that!



Recognized


The picture is my sweetheart and protector from the wicked Gluten in coming days, "Nurse" Louise, taking note of all the naughty products we have to dispose of asap. Bless her for going all the way with me on Gluten Free as they say it will not harm her. (Not true in some cases...non-Coeliac sufferers may not always be ok on this strict diet.) Thankfully, we can make the changes gradually. All names have been changed of any living persons mentioned in this story.

Coeliac Disease Definition- thanks to Coeliac Australia

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sankey All rights reserved.
Sankey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.