Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted October 25, 2015 Chapters:  ...131 132 -133- 134... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Chinese Styled Free Verse

A chapter in the book Commentary and Philosophy

Disturbing Other's Peace

by Treischel


Speeding, Splashing, Dashing,
The river holds the vessel high
To pummel, splash, and spray,
Defying current,
Defying waves,
Creating controlled chaos.
Yet, it speeds upstream with power

All men seek out exciting thrills.
Fishermen extend limits with poles and boats.

There is no need to hurry.
The river shall remain.
Fish stay within their habitats.
Perhaps, it's mere excitement
That drives men to extremes.

Do they need to violate the silence
with their motors, that grind and scream,
That fill the wilderness with noise?

Do I behave as callous as they,
Creating chaos with my own
Wave and wake?
Do my ripples pummel quiet shores,
While I go blithely by?

Should I heed examples set
By careless lack of sensitivity,
To see the seed that's grown in me?
Or, shall I walk -- run -- drive -- or fly
In continued ignorance
Of my own indiscretions?

These things
I
Ponder.





Speed boats on the river can often be annoying. Their noise disturbs the peace, even when in a larger boat. In a small craft, like a canoe, the waves created by their wake can be dangerous. These men are annoying, but before I cast a stone, make sure that my own house is in order. Do I behave like them in any way? This is a shot that I took while on a recent Mississippi river cruise.

This poem is styled after what I think is a Chinese format that I was introduced to by Alan K Pease, a fellow FanStorian, in his poem: Snow Leopard. He stated that it emulated the style of the famous Chinese Poet, Tuo Ssu. I searched the internet and couldn't find any instruction in the style that was helpful, so I analysed Alan's poem and tried here to emulate his. Here is what I came up with.
It is a free verse poem.
Start with a 7 line stanza beginning with three gerunds (words ending in "ing") that describe the image you have in mind. Then, in the remaining lines describe what, why, how,how, how, with a closing "but".
Now write 2 lines, each that relate to the image.
Follow that with 5 lines, where 3 oppose the image and 2 strive to explain the cause.
Then write 3 lines that embelish the theme with a question.
Follow with 5 lines that relate to this image by questioning yourself, At least 2 questions.
After that, write 6 lines that connect the whole to yourself, which inquires what to do and ponders the resolution, in questions.
I chose to add a closing comment as an envoi.

I hope I got it. I'll ask Alan how I did. This is my attempt at it. Hope you like it.

The photograph was taken by the author himself on October 16, 2015.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.