Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted February 10, 2015 Chapters:  ...125 126 -127- 128... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Haibun

A chapter in the book Commentary and Philosophy

Step Parenting - A Perspective

by Treischel



We joined hands and said "I do". With that we joined our children too. A blended family instantly. Carrying their own concerns and history. The parents are caught in a tug-of-war between children not their own, and grandparents who don't quite understand. A Never-never Land known to those called step-moms or step-dads, often preceded by the connotation "the evil.." The first issue comes with discipline.
sorting discipline
his and her methods may clash
"You are not my dad!"

With that, lines are drawn. Distinctions are made as time goes on, drawing the couple together as a team, or pushing them apart. Acceptance is needed from all concerned. Efforts are made to reach out. Love and example are keys with the children, but somewhere the ice must be broken. It takes time and patience.
sought-after moment
finally her kids call you "Dad"
tears of joy are shed

Does that realization touch the grandparents? Maybe. If they are loving and open-minded. For grandparents play their part, with presents, gift cards, hugs, and toys. Much is conveyed in verbal comments and how attention is paid. Hurts and snubs can be felt by little ones as lines are drawn --distinctions, bloodlines, prejudice.
grandparent delight
grandchildren lavished with love
"Oh, but she's not mine."


The pains of a step parent. Those who haven't been there may not understand. Think about that.




A Step Parent lives in a BETWEEN world that not only involves the kids, but the grandparents too. They need to gain love and acceptance on both sides to work out well. Even other siblings may not understand. It is a great day when it finally works out, if ever.

This poem is a Haibun.
A Haibun is a literary form originating in Japan, combining prose and Haiku. Generally, a Haibun consists of one or more paragraphs of prose written in a concise, imagistic Haikai style, and one or more Haiku. A Haibun may record a scene, or a special moment, in a highly descriptive and objective manner or may occupy a wholly fictional or dream-like space. The accompanying Haiku may have a direct or subtle relationship with the prose and encompass or hint at the gist of what is recorded in the prose sections. The most common Haiku format is 5-7-5 syllables spread over 3 lines.

The picture is from Yahoo images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.