Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted November 23, 2013


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Just saying!

Created equal?

by Jumbo J

Do I question my worth as a man and a conscious thinking human being, If I sit idly by and let the division of decency widen?

Do I speak out and expose myself, in fear that I may appear naive, or soft?

How could I speak of such things, do I know for sure?

Do any of us, ever know anything for sure?

This is what I do know ... to love, be loved and know love, is one of life's true rewards. Not something to be disgusted by, or bandied around like you know the right way, or the best way to do, or have it. Love can only be just that ... love. It does not discriminate and does not pick sides.

Jesus walked this earth just over two-thousand years ago, spreading love, healing, forgiving, showing compassion, all unconditionally.

He was an inspirational man who stood by his convictions. Even if others mocked him, he would turn the other cheek and spread his truth, the one that lived inside his heart. He needed no indoctrination to know what was right or wrong, so why do we?

Do we not have the faith in ourselves as decent human beings to know what is right or wrong, good or bad?

I read a recent commentary on-site; the subject, gay marriage being accepted by yet another American state.

Could same-sex marriage really cause the end of the world?

Not unless homosexuality is a disease you can catch; another thing I know for sure, you can't!

If you're against same-sex Marriage, is it because, deep down, you believe it to be wrong, or know it to be so?

We must search our own hearts for the truth, not be lead by someone else's beliefs.

Growing up, were you told that God looked down upon homosexuals, are you still told that now?

The strange thing is, I don't remember mention of, 'thou shall not be born a homosexual' when Moses walked down Mount Sinai, tablets in hand. I can't recall Jesus in front of thousands of people, saying, if you are homosexual, repent otherwise you're not allowed into the kingdom of heaven.

Now, I could give statistics and quote from different reading material. The truth is, I doubt whether the different opinions would shed true light on the facts. All human beings were indeed created equal; even if it doesn't always seem to be the case. But wouldn't it be wonderful to think it was totally achievable, and our world was evolving?

Everyday life for most of us is already hard enough, without creating more problems through division. The top one percent, who control forty-six percent of the wealth on this earth, rub their hands with glee at division. The more division the better; divide and conquer. Clandestine endeavors can go through unnoticed or unchecked, sound familiar? One of the first rules of the art of war, separate and confuse the masses.

While we are all running around like chooks with our heads cut off, fighting amongst ourselves, the rich get richer, and the gap widens yet again. Every time we allow ourselves to be divided in this way, we lose the advantage of true democracy.

The truth is, there are always going to be human beings who don't agree with one another on everything. That's fine, that's just the way life is; different opinions and healthy debate, well at least in this day and age, you'd think it would be the case.

The self-worth of any person should not be defined by sexual preference, rather the strength of character that directs their moral compass.

Political or religious dialog should not hold any weight to deciding the outcome of a humanitarian issue, especially when these lines already seem to be blurred.

In an interesting historical fact;using ideas from British Philosopher, John Locke's letter, 'A letter concerning toleration' Thomas Jefferson's articulated his fears to the Founding Fathers about the first amendment. He referenced the fact, that the United States government should not establish a state of religion. That there should be a wall of separation between church and state. This became known as the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

The Founding Fathers had great concerns about the new nation becoming a church state. It was their fear of the church becoming a real source of power. The same way it had been used by Kings, Queens and the wealthy, to do whatever they chose and whenever they chose to do it. Therefore Jefferson and the Founding Fathers wanted to ensure that the same problems would not occur in the United States.

But I'd say these lines have already been crossed, for most of the opposition against same-sex marriage, comes from the church.

I'd ask you, would you deny our brave men and women of the Armed Forces, our Emergency Response Organizations, our Police Personnel, just to name a few, the right to marriage; even if they are homosexual?

Love, compassion and tolerance, are the only thing that will save us all from the steady downward trends that encourage divide, hate and disrespect.

We should all think long and hard, before we lay judgement on a minority, who just want to have the same rights, that most of us take for granted. Divorce rates are not going down, but in fact, are on the rise; indeed, who amongst us has the right to cast the first stone?




Recognized


I did not write this to single anyone out, rather to ask the question, how could anyone be so against the right to love, and be loved. Yes, same-sex couples are not everyone's cup of tea, but the same could be said about Colour, Creed, Nationality, Religion and even the way you top your boiled eggs; we all have an opinion, but it should be just that, an opinion. Every human being has the right to choose his or her religion, or none at all. We owe no account to any other person, for our faith or worship. But we do have a responsibility to ourselves; striving to be the best human being we possibly can be, without judgement.
Love, Compassion, Integrity, Respect, Forgiveness, Courage, Honesty and Faith... This is what I stand for.

Thank you Angelheart or the visual accompanying this write, titled... 'Unlimited Love'

References:
Google. Top Ten interesting facts about Thomas Jefferson
Wenz,Peter. 2009. Beyond red and blue.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jumbo J All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Jumbo J has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.