Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted March 31, 2013


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Skin color and racial bias

THE COLOR SPECTRUM

by Marisa3

It would be difficult to pinpoint the exact moment in human history when it was deemed that the color of one's skin predisposed their destiny and station in life. It is the very arrogance and extreme hubris born out of the mind of Man that decided which color would reign supreme and be synonymous with power and ultimate control over all others. Nature was simply doing its job by providing the necessary protection a group of people needed in order to live in a particular geographical area. It was not meant for Man to overlay his racial biases onto something as insignificant as skin color, thereby creating societal structures of exclusion and oppression for those not in the privileged group.

Variations in human skin color are adaptive traits that correlate closely with geography and the sun's ultraviolet (UV) radiation. (Nina Jablonski and George Chaplin, California Academy of Sciences)

Studies have shown that skin color is merely the body's balancing act between vitamin D and folate. Those closer to the equator have darker skin to prevent folate deficiency.

"The genetic variants affecting skin color and facial features are essentially meaningless. They probably involve a few hundred of the billions of nucleotides in a person's DNA. Yet societies have built elaborate systems of privilege and control on these insignificant genetic differences." ("The Genetic Archaeology of Race," published in the Atlantic Monthly, Steve Olson)

Blumbach was responsible for using the term "Caucasian" to refer to general Europeans, which he chose on the basis of physical appearance. He thought Europeans had the greatest physical beauty of all humans - he, of course, was European and amongst Europeans he thought those from around Mount Caucasus the most beautiful. Hence he named them the "most beautiful race" of people. This is a perfect reason to avoid using the term "Caucasian". (Science Week).

There is sufficient logic behind scientific studies to negate the need for racial classification. All humans share the same DNA and our DNA is not qualified or quantified by the color of one's skin.

How much horror, persecution, oppression and out-and-out genocide has been committed by those who would deem themselves superior based on the fact that they were/are of white Anglo-Saxon descent.

Apartheid in South Africa is a prime example of the oppressive nature of white supremacy. From 1948 to 1994 the Nationalist Party enforced apartheid. They initiated this with the Population Registration Act, whereby every South African was required to go through racial classification by government officials. Every person was classified as white, colored, Indian and native.
Once this racial classification was accomplished the next move was to severely restrict the rights and movements of Africans in their own country.

"In my country of South Africa, we struggled for years against the evil system of apartheid that divided human beings, children of the same God, by racial classification and then denied many of them fundamental human rights." - Desmond Tutu

It has always been a galling and absolutely appalling notion to me that one race of people, based on the color of their skin, could arbitrarily decide the fate of another race according to their place on the color spectrum. Ethnic background, skin color or socioeconomics have nothing whatsoever to do with intellect. These factors, however, have everything to do with opportunity. When we indulge in petty bigotry we hobble those we negate by painting with a broad brush. With one sweep, an entire culture is relegated to the background of society, thereby producing almost insurmountable obstacles where their upward mobility is concerned.

When will we ever learn that diversity is our strength not our weakness? Through inclusion we create opportunities for all people. Every segment of our society has something unique to contribute to our success as a nation. In order to effect change we must embrace our differences and appreciate the richness of all cultures.

"You've got to be a thermostat rather than a thermometer. A thermostat shapes the climate of opinion; a thermometer just reflects it. "- Cornel West

"If not us, then who?
If not now, then when?" -- John Lewis



Recognized


The world is still such an abysmal place when it comes to human rights. Always there are those who would oppress others in their greedy quest for power and control. The politics of racism is alive and well and I see it in the corridors of congress. It can be found in the fear inducing rhetoric of those who would exclude groups that they do not see as being worthy of their time and effort. There is a heartless elitism that has seized this governing body and, once again, well covered ground must be retraced and refought.

I am deeply concerned with the self-serving agendas that are being aggressively pushed and the tunnel vision of those with the power to change the fate of an entire group of people. By that I am referring to the issue of immigration. Until congress acts and passes comprehensive immigration reform, there will continue to be states that adopt harsh and unfair laws that are designed to punish undocumented workers. Until we can come together as a nation and reclaim our humanity for all those who come here looking for better lives for their families, then we will be in direct conflict with our core values. We need to walk the talk and we need to elect those who will carry out our wishes for equality and a sense of mercy for those who seek our help.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Marisa3 All rights reserved.
Marisa3 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.