Spiritual Poetry posted February 23, 2013 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Christ is Crucified (5-7-5)

A chapter in the book Commentary and Philosophy

On the Cross

by Treischel


died upon the cross
broken body bled for us
women looking on




lectio divina + 5/7/5 contest entry

Recognized


It is interesting how the church has underplayed the role of women as authorities and ministers in the Church. I find these scriptures particularity revealing about Jesus and his relationship with women.

I researched and meditated on the four Gospel versions of the crucifixion intending to focus on Mary, Jesus' mother. I had the painting of the Pieta in mind. But after reading and meditating, I was drawn to the participation of all the women and their story. I changed what I wrote and focused again on these particular verses.

Matthew 27:55 And many women who followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering to Him, were looking on from afar.

The words Ministering to Him struck me.

Mark 15:40,41 There were also women looking on from afar, among whom were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the Less and of Joses, and Salome.
Who also followed Him and ministered to Him when He was in Galilee, and many other women who came up with Him to Jerusalem.

Many women followed Him to Jerusalem, Ministering.

Luke 23:27,28 And a great multitude of the people followd Him, and women who also mourned and lamented Him.
But Jesus turning to them, said "Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for Me, but for yourselves and for your children".

Luke 23: 48,49 And the whole crowd who came together at the sight, seeing what had been done, beat their breasts and returned.
But all His acquaintances, and the women who followed Him from Galilee, stood at a distance, watching these things.

John 19:25-27 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother,and His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas and Mary Magdalene.
When Jesus saw His mother, and the disciple whom he loved standing by, He said to His mother "Woman, behold your son!".
Then He said to the disciple, "Behold your mother!".

Many thanks for the use of the artwork, Crucified Christ by tomg48 from FanArt Review.

At the foot of the cross were the women.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.