General Non-Fiction posted June 15, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
This is just one of the many he lived through

My Dad Had More Than 9 Lives

by Dick Waters


The under-construction portico which collapsed at St. Martha's Hospital on Nrupathunga Road in Bengaluru on May 31, 2022.

They both could have been killed.

Maybe it was fate, but we will never know.

My mother escaped the collapsing ceiling, but my father wasn’t as lucky.

My father was helping to build a float for the July 4th parade. It had been raining for several days, and the float construction was moved under the Legion’s front portico.

Mom watched the progress and decided to get the camera in the car. She heard the crash!

When she got back to the entranceway she saw my father under the rubble.

Ninety-nine stitches later, but he left the emergency room that night.




True Story Flash contest entry


The picture is not of the actual Legion ceiling collapse and was taken from the internet.
My dad had many events, one other one was falling across a chainsaw, and living to talk about it. I was at National Guard summer camp when I was called to the command post about needing to call home.
"We really don't know what we don't know"...Thank God my mom thought of the camera at that moment.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dick Waters All rights reserved.
Dick Waters has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.