Writing Fiction posted February 2, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Furious Fiction competition - Australia

Rascally Rabbits

by Dick Waters


“Pops, come quick, you’ve got to see what they’re doing.”

The Plan - He referred to it as “Operation Rabbit”.

He recruited his seven-year-old granddaughter, Eleanor, to help him prevent the many rabbits from raiding his garden.

He hoped that spraying several bottles of “Guaranteed Rabbit Repellent” around the area would stop the rabbits from entering the garden. After spraying three bottles around the perimeter, there was an overpowering and terrible smell. Still, he decided to go one step further and hang one of the bottles on the open metal fence to add even more deterrent.

That was the plan until reality set in –

Eleanor watched Pops run over to where she was standing by the sliding glass door.

To his horror, in the fenced-off garden, he witnessed two rabbits alternately doing some kind of dance, leaping up and down knocking the hanging bottle back and forth like a badminton shuttlecock.

A shadow of a cloud passed over and the spectacle stopped. A minute later, the sun came out and the rabbits resumed their newfound sport.

Eleanor was laughing at their antics, but he was not.

“Pops, what are we going to do now?”

After a deep breath, “First, I’m going to take a video of the rabbits playing with the hanging empty spray bottle, then I’m going to apply for a refund and finally, you and I are going to develop Plan B.”

“What are we going to call that?”

He thought about the BB gun he recently gave to her brother. “How about, Run Rabbit Run?”





This is my entry into Australia's first-Friday-of-the-month Furious Fiction competition (#FuriousFiction)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dick Waters All rights reserved.
Dick Waters has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.