Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted April 27, 2023


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I remember when things made sense...

Humpty Dumpty

by Dick Waters


I remember when the world had its problems, but things still made sense.

Boys were boys, and girls were girls, and I certainly appreciated and respected the differences.

Children couldn’t wait to get home from school to play outside with whoever was in their neighborhood.

When we played more organized sports, the best team got the trophy and we respected that they earned it.

Parents enforced a school dress code, even if the school didn’t.

Neighbors helped neighbors, and didn’t expect even a thank you…but DID get one!

People joining the military were welcomed and we thanked them for offering to serve their country.

An officer and our flag were respected, and we saluted both.

We fought most wars because we had to protect OUR freedom.

We said “Thank you for your service” to all who served our country.

Our politicians were not always correct, but they did their best and tried to do what was RIGHT for our country and the people.

We felt safe and knew our leaders were focused on that mission.

When they spoke, we knew in our hearts it was the truth.

They took responsibility and admitted their mistakes without making excuses.

We respected their positions because we had faith in them.

Strangers held the door for the next person, who said thank you in response.

When you went out to dinner, it was an opportunity to talk with each other.

We could walk to the restaurant without the fear of being accosted.

Most of us grew up fearing our parents the most, and didn’t do something wrong.

There wasn’t an actual fear of physical punishment, but knowing they would be disappointed.

We knew what we did had consequences!

When new cars came out each year, we appreciated the new designs.

A single commercial was every fifteen minutes, for one minute, and not a sensitive subject.

We knew what Red lights meant, and didn’t worry about entering the intersection.

We did our best in our job, and welcomed an honest review and pay for performance.

Companies respected employees and rewarded them for their contributions and years of service.

Long-term employees were rewarded with retirement and pensions.

‘Machine Guns’ (i.e., One trigger pull) were illegal, but recognized only bad guys had them.

I remember when we had nothing but optimism for our country and our future!

When others expressed their opinions, we listened and respected a different point of view.

Going to sleep meant dreams and not nightmares.




I Remember writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Begin your non-fiction autobiographical story or poem with the words 'I remember...' Complete the sentence conveying a moment, an object, a feeling, etc. This does not have to be a profound memory, but should allow readers insight into your feelings, observations and/or thoughts. Use at least 100, but not more than 1,000 words. The count should be stated in your author notes.


412 words
It's hard to believe we can't fix the current situation, but there doesn't seem to be a will to change it.
I would honestly like to believe that this poem/entry would have the effect to make current even one of these "Remembers."
My wife's frustration in evident in her constant statement, "I'm glad I'm on my way out, and not on my way in."
I've always been positive, but my choice of the "Humpty Dumpty" title indicates I don't think we will put things back together.
A thought - UFO's are just 'reporters' here to witness our end.
I thank my parents for my life, my upbringing and our fun times.
I thank Fan Story for the opportunity to express what needs to be said. Maybe, just maybe, some people will try to put the pieces back together.
Thanks again!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dick Waters All rights reserved.
Dick Waters has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.