Biographical Non-Fiction posted August 30, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Identifying the problem and learning from it.

You're Lost Again?

by barbara.wilkey


I'm directions dyslexic, although I'm not sure that's an actual disease or diagnosis. If it were, I'd be the poster person for it. My family swears I could get lost in my own yard. I'm not sure that's accurate, but I have gotten lost in my hometown, of less than 5,000 people.

*****
Many years ago, we were stationed in Germany and took a family vacation to the southern part of the country. Munich has a large traffic circle by the famous Rathaus-Glockenspiel. My husband, Brian, after driving numerous times around this traffic circle asked, "Where do I get off? We're going in circles."

Not having a clue where we were, I said, "Maybe we need to go in the opposite direction."

My answer did nothing to improve his attitude as he yelled, "You need to orientate your map."

I studied the map. It faced up like a map should. I didn't see a problem, but knew better than relay that message, so I remained silent.

Being impatient Brian grabbed the map and turned it sideways. "That's the direction we're going."

I turned the map back the way I had it. "But we're going forward the map needs to face forward."

The glare I got told me that was the wrong answer. All my life, and I wasn't a child, I was in my late thirties, I'd believed whatever direction I faced was North.

I hate to admit it but to solve my map reading skills, I rolled down the window and tossed out the map. Needless to say, the rest of the day we didn't speak to each other. Probably a good thing. Just so you know we'll have been married forty-five years this October.

*****
Another situation, I was going to Hobby Lobby after school to pick up art supplies for my first-grade class. I knew it was close to Lowe's but couldn't find it. After searching for close to thirty minutes, I called Brian. He was in the dentist chair, but he took my call. After I explained my situation, I heard him say, "Just a minute. It's my wife. She's lost again. I need to help."

After he explained Hobby Lobby was across the parking lot from Lowes and on the backside, I found it.

*****
Once while taking my son, Steven, to the ER on advice from urgent care, I got lost on the way. Urgent care was in Killeen, TX and the hospital was in Temple, TX. Luckily, Steven had his act together when we crossed into another town on the opposite side of Temple and used Google Maps. We did arrive safely before he got worse. I'm still living that one down when we have family gatherings.

*****
I've shown enough examples of my ability to get lost. I do have plenty more. How does this fit in this contest, 'The School of Hard Knocks'? Having been ridiculed many years for 'always being lost', I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a compass.

Anxious for the help, I couldn't wait to open it. I hurried to the car, ripped it open, and began reading the instructions. The first instruction was to face 'True North' and set the compass. If I knew where 'True North' was, I wouldn't need the stupid compass. The compass made it into the garbage can.

*****
What I did learn from these experiences was I needed help. I asked Steven to teach me how to use Google Maps. I've now mastered Google Maps.

My males still worry, and before I go anywhere alone, they set my destination on Google Maps. Really, they do. I'm positive I can do it, but it makes them feel important.

Steven had surgery in June. I drove three hours to his house, stayed with him through surgery, and at his house until he was able to care for himself. He was worried about my traveling three hours alone and said, "Mom, if you get lost, I'll come get you."

Just so you know, I made it there and back without once getting lost. Google maps is a good thing.



School of Hard Knocks contest entry

Recognized

#23
August
2022


This post has 680 words according to my Microsoft word. According to FanStory it has 738 words. Either way it's under 750.

Thank you, Jan for helping me change the artwork for my post. I think this one suits it better. I really appreciate the help.

A friend suggested that I enter this contest with suggestions on writing that I've learned from various professional editors that I've hired through the years, but that didn't seem right to me since I still make many errors in my posts.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.