General Non-Fiction posted December 12, 2021 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 23... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Inadvertent Offense

A chapter in the book Idioms Explained

... in a 'coon's age

by Elizabeth Emerald


A few years back, a woman I was friendly with in the locker room of the gym (not that kind of friendly) came in from her swim, flustered. Sally told me she'd encountered a fellow at the pool, whom she hadn't seen in months.



She greeted him with these words:
"Hello, Jim! I haven't seen you in a 'coons age."

Jim nodded curtly, then walked away.

It was then Sally realized:  Jim, who is black, had taken 'coon -- short for raccoon -- as a racial slur.

Per the reference below, stay on the safe side: substitute the British idiom: In a donkey's years.

Now, check out Sandra Mitchell's post today on that expression (and several others).

* * * * * *

https://www.straightdope.com/

What’s the origin of “coon’s age”? - The Straight Dope

It actually refers to raccoons. The expression “in a coon’s age” dates to the early 1800s, and to the folk belief that raccoons are long-lived. ... average, probably 2-3 years  ...

... applied to black people ... first used in the 1850s ... for that reason, "in a coon’s age” makes many people uncomfortable, notwithstanding its innocent origin.


 



Recognized

#27
December
2021


Peak A Boo by lynnkah on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by lynnkah at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Multi-Author Book
Add Chapter
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.